Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First real McCoy post

Old 10-23-2009, 11:04 PM
Spike

Default First real McCoy post

Got this one on opening day in south Pittsylvania County, a short walk from the VA/NC border. I was seeing allot of lesser subordinate bucks but older ones have gone reclusive. I was praying for a good buck just before he walked under my stand about 5:00pm but I let him walk. The three older bucks I glassed at the field edge a few days earlier (and all summer long) never showed up. He walked under my stand again in fading light when I changed my mind and took him from about 20 yards out; thru a gap between branches (liver shot).He ran off about 60 yards before he crashed. I had mixed feelings about taking him – he’s a fine buck but only looks to be about 2 and a half. My property is bordered on two sides by leased hunting land and seeing 5 year old bucks around here is rare. In the few years I’ve been hunting, he’s the nicest one to walk under my stand so far. Anyway, the venison sausage is tasty and he’ll look good on the wall keeping my first deer from 2005 company. I’ll try to post a pic but if it don’t work, just click my photo gallery.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:56 AM
Typical Buck

hey,don't feel bad about shooting a young deer. you shoot what ever deer you want. main thing is enjoy the hunt. i like to kill big deer ,but the trophy deer only thing has taken over our sport. congrats on a great buck.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:04 AM
Fork Horn

I think he is a good one. Ofcourse were I come from the timber company clear cut everything and the whole 1200 acres grew uo in horse weeds. Managment is a problem to. Everyone kills anything with horns.
Anyway nice story and good luck for the rest of the year.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck!
Old 10-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck....good job!
Old 10-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice deer!!! Why can't I see those up here in Bedford?!
Old 10-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats a nice deer. congrats and nice job
Old 10-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Spike

Thanks for the congrats and responses. All this stuff is new to me but every time I go out, I learn something or see something new. Being an old city kid, I never would have guessed that sitting in a tree all day long could be so much fun… but it really is!

Old 10-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations corn bread! Nice shot; way to execute under the pressure!

Nice buck and great to see you preserved the experience by taking pictures. Most all my deer don't have pictures, just mounts. I hope all your visits in the treestand will be as fun. If no kill, no problem; you still were out there enjoyin' it.

Take care,

iSnipe
Old 10-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck,I wouldn't have a problem shooting it.