Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Thumbhole or Pistol Grip Stock

Old 10-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Spike

Default Thumbhole or Pistol Grip Stock

Does anyone hunt with or has anyone hunted with a thumbhole stock or pistol grip stock on their shotgun? If so, do you like/dislike it? I really like the way the stocks feel but don't want to get one and be disappointed with it when hunting. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually, we have shotguns with both stock options so perhaps I can offer some decent feedback. We utilize T/C Encore Pro Hunter 12 gauges with Thumbhole stocks and we have a pair of 20 gauge Mossbergs with SpecOps pistol grip adjustable stocks. We enjoy shooting both styles but hands down our favorite style for serious hunting is the Thumbhole stock option, especially for shooting while your sitting down or when you have to hold your gun up for extended periods. A thumbhole is just more comfortable to hold in a ready position.

My Daughter won't use anything but her Thumbhole Encore for turkey!

Even my 9 year old son has his favorite deer gun, a thumbhole stoked Encore Pro Hunter .50 cal muzzleloader! What can I say, they have great taste! lol !

Old 10-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried a thumbhole stoicked ML. I did not stick with it. I am right handed. There have been times I have had to shoot left handed to get a clean shot line to the deer. I could not do this well with the RH thumb hole stock.