Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need help with aging this deer

Old 10-19-2009, 06:41 AM
Spike

Default Need help with aging this deer

Hello all,

I ran into this guy about two weeks ago while filling one of my feeders (not the one shown) and he walked within 15yards of me and we just stared at each other for about 30mins. He gave me several looks at him from the front, the side etc. It was quite the experience.

My delima is, im a rookie when it comes to judging age on the hoof so I need a little help. Tell me what you guys/gals think.

Last edited by teamluhnacy; 10-19-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd guess him to be 3 1/2 years old.

iSnipe

Last edited by iSnipe; 10-19-2009 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Edited Out Picture Posted
Old 10-19-2009, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

i only see the pic that snipe posted...is that it? if it is i'd say he is a yung buk and looks a lil malnourished...maybe 3 years old( im new at guessin age too lol) try some protein pellets with the corn or watever is in ur feeder
Old 10-19-2009, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

I would guess him at about 3 1/2 years old too. I personally would take him, but if you have the ability and circumstances to let him get another year or two older and have a realistic chance of him still being there, he will be a real nice deer then. Most places where I hunt, as soon as he jumps the wrong fence, somebody else will shoot him.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:31 AM
Spike

Default Pictures

I changed the link to see if that made a difference. If they still don't show i can resize them. Not sure why he is skinny most of the deer are in pretty good shape do to the acorn crop this year on our place. Maybe he has other things on his mind. Looked to me liked he got stabbed in the butt in one of the pictures.