Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Climb a Tree?

Old 10-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, I had better confine my climbing to an actual stand and safety harness.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

I say the same thing ISnipe says! I am 49 yrs old and have been hunting since the age of 14. I have killed more game deer,squirrel,fox,coyote,pigs,bobcat,ect, from the ground using natural cover. You can conceal yourself in alot of ways... behind big trees, using creek beds to move in, dips, ditches, tall gass, behind hay bales. Just go out and scout the area looking for sign, fresh tracks, deer droppings, scrapes, rubs, bedding areas, food areas and deer sightings, also trails. Once you find an area the deer are using regularly you can .... here is the main word AMBUSH them. Set up by their trails and find some cover be quiet and still as you can and sooner or later you will kill an unsuspecting deer...... Remember AMBUSH is the word!
Go to this link to read the story of my 15 point Buck taken in Sept. 2009 I was on my cell phone texting when it ran by at 20 yrds. Check out this story!
http://empowered4success.net/15PointKansasBuck.aspx
Best of luck! KSwild
Old 10-20-2009, 03:25 AM
Fork Horn

For about $50 you can buy a ground blind that assembles itself instantly at the site. I got one at WalMart made by Remington. For you, it sounds a lot healthier than climbing a tree.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

kswild!

That's a great story and a pleasing read too. I like your writing style as well. However, the part I like the best and this may go unnoticed, but my favorite is when you bleated. That there tells me you were thinking on your feet. Had it not been for that, this wouldn't have happened. That bought you those precious extra seconds you needed to pull the shot off!

The page's html warped the photo a bit, I fixed that. Someday I'll have my own interesting story too. Right now it goes along the lines of... "I saw him coming and when he stopped... game over." LOL!

iSnipe
Old 10-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Typical Buck

Thank you for your kind words ISnipe you are exactly right! Bleating is the only thing that stopped that buck long enough for me to get a shot. Keep at it, I'm ready to read your story! Best of luck! KSwild.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I do it all the time, even at 60. I strictly bow hunt and like to keep things as normal to the surrounds as possible.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your hunting situation (as well as being careful with your back) whould dictate how high you should climb. I like to be just a couple of feet over the vegitation/brush that I need to shoot over. For example, one of my stands (60-70 yards off some very well used travel corridors) is only about 10 ft. off the ground because the surrounding ground cover is approx. 4-5 ft. This height provides me a great shooting angle to the travel paths I'm watching over. Yet there are a couple of spots that are up a ridge and overlook a swampy area that the deer travel around. For this spot I prefer using a ground blind (have used both pop up as well as making a blind from the natural ground material around. I actually prefer using a variety of options for each give that little bit different hunting experience. It is so cool when a deer travels right under the tree you're sitting in but as cool is having a deer pass by close while you're in a ground blind. If your hunting situation will allow you to use ground blinds and having a messed up back, I would stay as close to earth as the situation will allow. Good luck and be safe.