Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ballistic Tips?

Old 10-14-2009, 03:36 AM
Typical Buck

I never lost a deer to a Bt nor has any body else I know that hunts with them. The ones I hit in the shoulders never went to far and the damage was devasating.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by pats102862
I never lost a deer to a Bt nor has any body else I know that hunts with them. The ones I hit in the shoulders never went to far and the damage was devasating.
X2 , I've been using Nosler BT's since they 1st hit the market as component bullet only and I had to load my own. Never had one fail.

IMO it's the best deer hunting bullet available bar none. I've used them in everything from a 115 gr(might have been a 117) in a 257 Roberts to a 200 gr in a 338-06. Same result evertime.... dead deer.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:26 AM
Spike

I love BT's. Every deer I hit with one the damage is very severe. They really do a number on what they hit.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

You couldn't give me a box of them. When myself and the group I was hunting with first started rifle only hunting we all had to get a box or two of them. Right now I don't think any of us would use one. Lots of better bullets, IMHO, out there. I use nothing but Hornady BTSP bonded bullets.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:24 AM
Spike

never lost a deer with them But there is alot of meat damage.
i have switched to barnes x bullet & like it
tom
Old 10-14-2009, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

For you guys who say I would never use them, that's fine, but you put any bullet in the right spot, bt or not, and that deer is dead. I've never had trouble with a deer going down hit in the shoulder with a bt. Just about every deer I have shot with the bt's have dropped in their tracks. The others didn't go far. As for the comment "your going to lose a big buck one day for using bt's", hell that could happen with any bullet.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't shoot a BT at a shoulder blade on purpose, like you might with a A-frame or Partion. BT's weren't designed for maximum penetration through bone. Just too much chance of it not fully completing the job.
If you use BT's I'd only aim just behind the shoulder, or a good, lower neck shot if that was all that was presented(yes I mentioned a neck shot).
The wounds are wicked. I shoot them in 25-06. So far no mishaps, with the above locations.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Just to throw in a different perspective, I have always used the old Remington Core lokt bullets and have never found a reason to switch over to those other more expensive bullets. My 7mm Rem Mag shoots the 140gr very well and I have never lost a deer to date. Like the man said...if it aint broke.....
Old 10-14-2009, 08:35 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by mackesr
Just to throw in a different perspective, I have always used the old Remington Core lokt bullets and have never found a reason to switch over to those other more expensive bullets. My 7mm Rem Mag shoots the 140gr very well and I have never lost a deer to date. Like the man said...if it aint broke.....
I agree 100%.

My Dad has lost 1 deer with his 300WSM and it was with a balistic tip bullet. Knocked the front shoulder darn near off, but never found the buck. He hasn't shot one since. My biggest reason for not using them (other than what mackesr said above) is the damage to the meat. I place my bullet where it is supposed to be, use a lighter grain bullet and don't have an issue with getting a kill.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Dan480Man
I wouldn't shoot a BT at a shoulder blade on purpose, like you might with a A-frame or Partion. BT's weren't designed for maximum penetration through bone. Just too much chance of it not fully completing the job.
If you use BT's I'd only aim just behind the shoulder, or a good, lower neck shot if that was all that was presented(yes I mentioned a neck shot).
The wounds are wicked. I shoot them in 25-06. So far no mishaps, with the above locations.
I always try to destroy at least 1 shoulder and prefer detroying both. I've never had any problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.