Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Which state has the highest density of deer?

Old 10-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

i don't know how accurate that map is. if Florida has such a poor deer population why are we allowed to kill 2 bucks a day, everyday through out our 5 month long season?
Old 10-15-2009, 05:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, if you compare Pennsylvania's pre-reduction statewide deer population density to statewide (not just particular areas) estimates elsewhere, you will find that PA was pretty much in the ballpark with states viewed as having the highest STATEWIDE deer population density. Even after significant herd reduction, PA's deer population density still exceeds a number of states, including some hotspots like Iowa, although it now has much less density than states like South Carolina, Alabama, etc. However, those states are much more rural compared to PA, so the actual rural density of the PA deer population is probably much much higher than statewide estimates would indicate. That may help to explain why PA has ranked from #1 to #5 nationwide in incidents of deer/auto crashes and why deer were viewed as reaching nuisance levels in many areas, thus leading to reduction programs.

Last edited by Lanse couche couche; 10-15-2009 at 05:21 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CamoCop
i don't know how accurate that map is. if Florida has such a poor deer population why are we allowed to kill 2 bucks a day, everyday through out our 5 month long season?
That map is a joke or the QDMA cartographer used outdated deer population data . I don't know of many parts of my county that has a population less than 20, most closer to mid 30s. It shows the whole county as less than 15

To answer the question- I would say based on seasons that South Carolina has the highest pop/sq mile.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bryant,

Is your county homogenous in terms of population distribution and ground cover? If that is the case, then the map is probably way off. However, in most instances, the county level estimates may be based on the fact that very rural areas with lots of cover and food may have very high densities in a given county, but other areas in the same county that are urban or with much less cover and food may have far, far fewer deer.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ipscshooter

This map is so far off in my area that it's not even funny. It says that there are 30-45 deer per square mile in my area. In the last twenty years I've seen about a dozen deer in total. The state of Florida says that there are 1-3 deer per square mile in this part of the state.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
This map is so far off in my area that it's not even funny. It says that there are 30-45 deer per square mile in my area. In the last twenty years I've seen about a dozen deer in total. The state of Florida says that there are 1-3 deer per square mile in this part of the state.

if you've only seen about 12 deer while hunting in the last 20 years...you need to re-evaluate how you hunt. up until this last year all of my hunting has been florida public land and i have had no trouble killing 4-6 bucks a year. it was not uncommon for me to see up to 6 deer per sitting either. you need to find a better w.m.a. or sharpen your skills.