Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A couple of stillhunting questions

Old 10-04-2009, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default A couple of stillhunting questions

As I describe on another thread, I took my first deer while stillhunting (with a muzzleloader, also a first). I've been putting effort into learning how to stillhunt and the experience has me thinking about couple of things:

1. First, do you have any suggestions on how to avoid jerking the head when you first see a deer?

I was evidently going slowly and quietly enough that the deer walked to within 25 yards of me without knowing I was there, but I jerked my head a little too quickly when I caught her movement and form in the corner of my eye. She picked that up and got nervous. I wear a camo facemask, but want to know know what else I might do about this.

2. This is more of an observation and an opportunity for comments. I realized earlier this season that a stillhunting gait is really more like tiptoeing/walking on the balls of the feet. I was trying to remind myself of this as I crept the woods and, for whatever reason, I realized that a deer's foot is built exactly for this. It's dew claw is effectively a heel and its hooves are basically the balls of their feet. I was suddenly envisioning the way to walk the woods. Any thoughts?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
As I describe on another thread, I took my first deer while stillhunting (with a muzzleloader, also a first). I've been putting effort into learning how to stillhunt and the experience has me thinking about couple of things:

1. First, do you have any suggestions on how to avoid jerking the head when you first see a deer?

I was evidently going slowly and quietly enough that the deer walked to within 25 yards of me without knowing I was there, but I jerked my head a little too quickly when I caught her movement and form in the corner of my eye. She picked that up and got nervous. I wear a camo facemask, but want to know know what else I might do about this.

2. This is more of an observation and an opportunity for comments. I realized earlier this season that a stillhunting gait is really more like tiptoeing/walking on the balls of the feet. I was trying to remind myself of this as I crept the woods and, for whatever reason, I realized that a deer's foot is built exactly for this. It's dew claw is effectively a heel and its hooves are basically the balls of their feet. I was suddenly envisioning the way to walk the woods. Any thoughts?
Suggestions as how to not jerk your head quickly?

Just don't. Come on. Everything about still-hunting/stalking is about STEALTH - SMOOTH - SLOW. You just ain't learned to finish the deal consistently. Myself when I believe a deer is somewhere other then where I'm looking at the time and I want to visually seek them out I use a slow smooth ratcheting turning of my head. First I move my eyes slowly towards the direction I want to check out and wait a few long seconds. (Don't put your eyes all the way to the side - just about 2/3rds of the way or it leads to kinda straining the eye muscles for the next minute or so and that doesn't help). Then I slowly move my head a bit while allowing my eyes to return to straight ahead. Then after a few long seconds I start repeating with moving my eyes.

And then I see the squirrel or bird. (LOL)

As to deer walking there is a learning lesson there. However you have to realize that the deer foot and leg is designed differently than our own so we have to improvise the best we can.

The hoove is wedge shaped - sharp on the front, angled down and out. A deer pushes it's feet forward and down at the same time. Humans tend to put their foot forward - then down, crunching or crackling anything that may be under the leaves or whatever on the ground. (Of course it is important to LOOK where you step first to avoid all twigs, sticks, etc...) The deer tends to slide it's hoove under the ground cover in a forward motion before applying it's weight.

I learned to stalk from my 2nd cousin years ago and one thing I quickly learned was that you don't pick a step and commit to it. You feel with your toe and if the step isn't right you choose another spot to step. Sometimes you have to make several attempts to find a quiet spot to put your foot.

He used to sneak up on me pretty regular like. Scare the poop out of me whispering............"Hey. Did you see anything?"
Old 10-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer's hooves aren't shaped to be stealthy; it's for maneuvering vast differences of unlevel terrain and soil types.

As for not snapping your head around when your eyes catch movement, you already know the answer. You just need to concentrate on your weaknesses and build it into your strength. From now on call yourself the ROCK... because you are still like one. LOL!

Also, you never know until you try, but working under better weather conditions for your still hunting will improve your odds greatly. Higher winds, wet ground/leaves, snowing, raining and overcast days are better for still hunting.

Walk little, look much.

iSnipe
Old 10-04-2009, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Suggestions as how to not jerk your head quickly?

Just don't. Come on. Everything about still-hunting/stalking is about STEALTH - SMOOTH - SLOW. You just ain't learned to finish the deal consistently.
From what you say, this is something that just comes from practice and more practice.

I learned to stalk from my 2nd cousin years ago and one thing I quickly learned was that you don't pick a step and commit to it. You feel with your toe and if the step isn't right you choose another spot to step.
This is something I've also started trying to do. I realized I was head bobbing too much as I was looking for steps.

The whole thing about the deer's foot was more or less what I was thinking. The lesson was simply to try to step more like a deer than the way a person does normally
Old 10-05-2009, 01:51 AM
Spike

My suggestion to the head snapping thing is to make sure your set up well enough to see around yourself. You have to see it coming from farther away then 25 yards, if you don't want to jump a little. That's pretty close to not be surprised by it, I don't care who you are.
I guess you can say that's why they call it hunting, sometimes they win.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had never said (posted) that a deer's hoof was designed to be stealthy. And actually there was no engineer designing anything on a deer (well maybe one) - it all get's there thru evolution.

But deer sure do use them stealthily.!
Old 10-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

FF, some guys who do alot of stalking look for footwear that has a much softer sole that can afford them some feel of what they are setting their foot down on.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

I just saw a good youtube video about practicing wide-angle vision and fox-walking. I thought this was really good advice to increase your awareness of your surroundings. I plan to practice it so I can see better with my peripheral vision which will hopefully keep me from moving my head as much. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BlvqOg6HCc
Old 10-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

Well the head jerking thing is just a matter of breaking a bad habit. Instead of jerking your head concentrate on freezing whenever something catches your eye. I'm sure it will be tough but if you work at it enough it will become second nature.

As for moving stealthy, i think they only way to truly move silently is if you have a nice heavy blanket of snow. If you are hunting with no snow or earlier in the season it is pretty hard to move without making a fairly large amount of noise. The good news is there are lots of other critters in the woods that make a lot of noise! ever heard a flock of turkeys move through the leaves, they make lots of noise. So if the woods are noisy, bring a mouth call, try to sound like a turkey moving through the woods.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know one thing no one has stated, that is surprising if everyone still hunts...is that you don't have to be silent,...but you need to "sound" like a deer moving through the woods...stopping, moving leaves on the ground, moving branches like you are eating them....it is not all about avoiding detection from deer, but more blending in with them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.