Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need Tips For Staying On Stand ALL Day!

Old 10-17-2009, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't sit much, just need something to put my foot up on or lean against. The only reason I'd stay ALL DAY is expecting results at any moment, if not "sitting" like I'd need to would be too difficult, I'd just be telling any deer I was there and burning myself out.

No-Dose does wonders for my concentration and helps me stay on stand ready for hours.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by nodog
No-Dose does wonders for my concentration and helps me stay on stand ready for hours.
So does a snort of tinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

Being vigilant for 10-12 hours on stand is difficult. I sat in my climbing tree stand one day and as I was coming down, and already had my gun on the ground, a nice buck showed himself. Nothing I could do but watch him trot off.
Being comfortable (warm) is job 1. When my feet start to get cold I just wok my toes back and forth until they start to wrm up. I also just put part of my weight on my legs, like I'm going to stand up and hold there for 20-30 seconds at a time, basically doing isometrics. You would be surprised how well it works to get the blood flowing.
When I go to Alberta, I will have one of these: http://www.heaterbodysuit.com/index.htm

Food is the second thing that seems to keep one from getting up and leaving.

If I do get up and walk around, I will rarely go back where I Sat in the morning.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mr.mc54
So does a snort of tinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought this was about the hunter, not the buck.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

If you have an Ipod bring it. Fully charged they can last forever. Especially if you are hunting a field because its just about all sight, but if your in the woods just put one earphone in
Old 10-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Typical Buck

Knowledge of a big buck in the area is key. Opening day of 2008 rifle, I sat in my Gorilla ladder stand for 13 hours (6am - 7pm) knowing a huge 11pt had been seen crossing the powerlines I was on several times. Plenty of food, drink, and warm clothes is key.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Well gentleman, I really enjoyed reading that!

There's so many things we have in common. So many things that have been said here, are some great pointers hunters can use to hopefully fill their tag... and mine too!

Y'all have come up with some great strategies. With me the biggest boost to help me stay on stand for extended periods is knowledge there are shooter deer around. This can be done through scouting, seeing the sign, getting tips that there IS a big buck around and if I'm lucky, get a visual of a buck! That's why game cameras are an interest to me. Nothing like getting some Cuddeback photos of a shooter or two in the area to help keep things motivated!

Yeah, that was some fun readin'. You guys are funny!

Thanks,

iSnipe
Old 10-19-2009, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

during gun season ill bring my table top spotting scope.. when i get really bored i can spy on crossing deer out of my range.. watch the jerk next door walk through my hunting grounds,,, its fun to watch and not be seen

ipod, cell phone games, texting dirty jokes to my buds,,, havnt been able to sleep yet

some snacks.. also.. if your in your stand for 6 hours,, and really need to move around,, especially during high noon when the deer would normally bed down.. doesnt hurt to get down and walk around a touch to get your blood flowing, warm yourself up..

the other day i got down at 11 and walked back to my truck (left my pack and bow in the tree) sat at the truck and talked to a few buds on the phone,, waited and hour and went back in...
Old 10-19-2009, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

One thing I would never do is leave the bow hanging up there... the one day I do the ole 10ptr might meet me on the walk back in.
Just getting ready to lower my bow on Saturday I let off a few grunts.....10 minutes later here comes a buck to within 10 yards of my tree. We get in a staring match, I am getting pissed off!!!!
Fluke of a buck: 16-18 inch spread 4ptr,..... anyway illegal and on puplic lands PA WMU3d
Old 10-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by itsslow98
just hope you get cell service deep in the woods lol, or youll find yourself walking around the woods looking for good cell reception instead of a place where deer are haha

can ya hear me now?!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.