Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats with cammo

Old 05-20-2003, 04:02 PM

Default RE: Whats with cammo

I think camoflauge helps you blend in with the woods.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Whats with cammo

Deer_Slayer_10 ,
altering your solid blaze may not be legal . In my state the minimum requirement is simply a hat , but it must be solid Blaze Orange . Blaze camo is not legal without a patch of solid Blaze . I once saw a wonderful set of Blaze camo that hid the guy in a B&W photo so well I had trouble making him out , but I still would have had to wear solid Blaze on my head or elsewhere . According to a query I made to one of our COs , deer see yellow very well , and blue to some degree , which is why UV killer exists . Other than that , their world is mostly shades of contrast between gray , white , and black . They can' t see red very well , and can' t see green , brown , or orange at all . They have vision very similar to a human who is red/green colorblind , but lack our perception of depth . It is also possible that deer are slightly near or far sighted . We see contrast in over 20,000 shades on the gray scale , deer see about 15,000 . As others pointed out , movement is usually what gets you busted , deer are acutely aware of movement . They are also keenly aware of any changes to their environment , and what' s in it . Cut down a bush to improve your shooting lane and they will notice that it' s gone immediately . Any camo that breaks up your outline will work , some better than others . I wear little else than ordinary Woodland pattern , but I take steps to limit /hide my movement and smell . It can be a blind , ghillie suit , or standing behind something . PS: In a recent survey of camo experts the camo voted best general pattern for all around use in most environments was , you guessed it , plain ol' Woodland . This is why the Army developed the pattern in the first place , to give the troops the ability to hide in multiple environments without carrying 10 different changes of clothing . Remember , our grandfathers hunted wearing brown pants and a red plaid coat . Maybe they knew something we don' t .