Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SABOT SLUG SETUP ADVICE??

Old 07-07-2009, 09:25 PM

Default SABOT SLUG SETUP ADVICE??

I need some info from the sabot slug users. I have a remington 870, rifled barrel w/ scope. I just ordered the shurshot stock from remington with the new forend and a box of the Hornady SST and remington accu-tip. What can I add to the gun to make sure I get the most accuracy and distance? I have only used crossbow and a smooth bored slug gun lately to hunt and this will be my first year with the rifled barrel and sabot round.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SABOT SLUG SETUP ADVICE??

try more then those 2 brands of sabot slugs, try to find the very best for your gun
Old 07-08-2009, 03:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would recommend trying a few brands of sabot slugs, starting with the "cheaper" ones and working up to the more expensive ones, until you find one that the gun shoots well enough for your hunting. Your maximum effectiverange will be somewhere between 100 and 150 yds, depending on your results.

I shoot a Marlin 512 slugmaster, and it does well with the cheaper Win Super X 2.75 or 3 in sabot slugs at around 1400 fps. It did not like Hornady H2K sabots at all. Recently the Win. slugs went up to about $12 a box, so I switched to Brenneke KO Sabots ($8 a box when I bought them) at around 1500 fps and they shoot well too. I would take a 100 yd shot if needed, but most of my shots are within 75 yds.

As far as adding to the gun, I don't see that you need anything else. I know a guy that added a pad (Bear Creek I think) to the regular 870 stock, so he had something to rest his cheek on. I don't know the configuration of the stock you bought, so maybe it already has enough of a comb for you.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not much to add here. Advise on trying several different brands of Sabots is right on the money. If you think that you will be taking shots to 100 yards + or so, be sure to try that at the range. The Sabot slug will be moving rather slowly compared to say a typical high velocity centerfire. The "drag" on these rather large diameter slugs will slow it down pretty quickly. The arc can be substantial.

If you need to sope it .... Ihave a bud that has used a Rem. 870 "Wingmaster" with a Hastings brand slug barrel exclusively for about 2 decades. He has taken many, many deer andout to around 150 yards with no problemat all. Nothing farthar than that that I know of. Down this way we don't get many shots past 100 yards anyway. His setup includes a scope because his eyesight will not let him stay with open sightspast about 50 yardsor so. The scope is acompact Leupold Vari-X III is some thing like 1.5-4.5x24 mm.The mount he found wrapped over the top of the receiver. Not sure of the brand. Seems plenty solid to me.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Things I learned from shooting slugguns.
1) when sighting in , dont rest the pump handle on the front rest(not stable) rest the receiver and mag tube on the front rest, pull down hard on receiver w/ left hand, and back into you shoulder w/ the other.
2) Mount a good scope w/ sturdy construction, and at least 3.5" of eye relief, and use steel rings. If emblems and other small pieces start falling off your scope, or if your groups start to "walk" . Your scope and mounts are probably not up to 12ga recoil.

3) IME sabot brands w/ large dia. slugs and thin sabots, group better and are less prone to "flyers" than the wizzbang 50 cals, squeezed down into a thick .72ca sabot. . I also found the claims of 2000fps untrue , I cronied SSTs and got about 1600fps in a 20" ithaca DS, not much better than lightfiends, hastings and brenekee sabots, that all groups better than SSTs and win PGs out of any gun I owned ,and they cost about half.
4) A good muzzleloader is a far superior, and useful weapon, and havent touch a slugger in 3years
Old 07-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Kornfedredneck
I need some info from the sabot slug users. I have a remington 870, rifled barrel w/ scope. I just ordered the shurshot stock from remington with the new forend and a box of the Hornady SST and remington accu-tip. What can I add to the gun to make sure I get the most accuracy and distance? I have only used crossbow and a smooth bored slug gun lately to hunt and this will be my first year with the rifled barrel and sabot round.

I have your exact setup and have shot a lot of different slugs over the years. Money well spent on that caldwell lead sled I tell ya! ha, ha Of late, the slug that performs about the best out of my gun has been the Remington buckhammer. 2 3/4" shell I've shot about 10-15 deer with the setup and has performed well so far. They aren't a cheap shell, but far from the most expensive as well.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:02 PM

Default Original poster

Thanks for the information guys, I will start testing and let ya'll know what I find out. I hope I can get it perfect so I dont run short on deer jerky this year..lol
Old 07-11-2009, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Short of getting a dedicated bolt action or single shot slug gun with a stiffer barrel mount, you've done about all you can to the gun itself. Good advice here on scopoe, mounts, and trying multiple slug brands.

I agree with previous post, while I have an 11-87 and rifled barrel I switched over 100% of my hunting days to the muzzleloader years ago. Better accuracy, less recoil, much much cheaper. Longer range too.