Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Box blind vs popup

Old 05-28-2009, 07:50 AM
Spike

Default Box blind vs popup

I was considering purchasing a popup blind for use during our gun and youth seasons then thought I could probably build a box blind on the plot for about the same money. What do you all think? My thinking is that the popup can be used other places but then for the money it is also not as "durable" if my primary place is along my plots.

Any input?

D
Old 05-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Box blind vs popup

The thing I like about the pop up is the mobility of it. What happens when you want to hunt your food plot really bad but the wind is not right for the box blind? That is where the popup comes in handy, you can always move that pop up but the box is stationary. That's just my 2cents worth.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:56 PM

ORIGINAL: WIbuckchaser

The thing I like about the pop up is the mobility of it. What happens when you want to hunt your food plot really bad but the wind is not right for the box blind? That is where the popup comes in handy, you can always move that pop up but the box is stationary. That's just my 2cents worth.
I completely agree, but if you have a small area to hunt and you only plan to use the blind on that particular plot then I would recommend just building your own. It would be more durable, and you could customize it to fit your needs.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:09 AM
Spike

Like every one else you could cover more area with the pop up but if you make a box stand make it at lease 4'X6' for two people. Most all of ours were 4'X4'. Me and a hunting buddy are in the process of converting all our single stands to double stands, he has a little boy & I have a grand son that are starting to hunt with us all the time now & we need more room. I also have 2 pop up ground blinds that I use.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Spike

I prefer the popup blinds. They are way more portable than a box blind. Trust me, if you ever want to move a box blind, it is a pain in the "you know what!" Plus, my brothers put up so many box blinds on our land, that it`s starting to look like a subdivision.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Spike

Thanks for the input everyone. I guess for now I'll go with a popup so I can use it elsewhere. Later on I may do a box blind for my 2 plots.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most pop-up's are more durable than you think. I've had a dog house blind out in the FL sun for almost a year and it's still in great shape. Plus, they're only like $80 at Wal-Mart during deer season. $80 a year for a good, portable blind ain't bad at all IMO.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

We mainly use box blinds. Now that my father is getting a little older he likes to have a heater in there on those cold mornings. Im not going to lie, on those brutally cold and windy mornings I like the box blinds with heaters and windows in them. Sure they take time to build and are a b*%ch to move, but I think they are worth it when the wind is blowing and it is super cold out. We do have a couple Pop ups but they are mainly used in new areas that we haven't hunted before or if its an area we don't have any box blinds in and its too windy to use a climber. If you have a food plot, Id recommend building a few box blinds, even if it a few pallets nailed together with a piece of Plywood as a roof.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

box blind. you can make them bigger and do whatever you want with them, and they are cheaper to build