Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

tower stand or tree stand

Old 05-21-2009, 08:50 PM

Default tower stand or tree stand

what do you guys perfer? what height do you recommend? i came across a tower standat a good price thats 7ft high is that enough? i also like thefact that it has a 4x4 base where i have room for a heater becauselast season was too cold.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: tower stand or tree stand

It would depend on what kind of topography and cover you have in the area you want to put the stand. On the edge of big fields, relatively flat, it should work fine. I am usually in timber of some kind and I want to get as high as I can and still be able to see.You might be able to extend the legs two or three feet without too much trouble.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Seems kinda low but like timbercruiser said, it depends on your needs.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:05 AM

I'd much prefer a tree stand because I'd like to get much higher than 8 feet.I'm sure there are areas that I would use it.There are some places that just don't have many trees that are high enough or maybe none at all.It all depends on where you are hunting.Lots of deer get killed using tripod stands.I just prefer to get high up a tree.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:36 AM
Fork Horn

I like treestands for early bowhunting and the firearm season (Wisconsin) for the late ML season and Archery I use these. Have my own land for tho.
http://www.shadowhunterllc.com/content/view/13/12/

Redclub
Old 05-27-2009, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on where you hunt. Never did see a lot of trees in west Texas the last times I past through that area.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:03 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

It would depend on what kind of topography and cover you have in the area you want to put the stand. On the edge of big fields, relatively flat, it should work fine. I am usually in timber of some kind and I want to get as high as I can and still be able to see.You might be able to extend the legs two or three feet without too much trouble.
Like timber stated above...but I prefer a climbing stand. Mobile, light weight, and I can change my height as needed. And you said 7ft for that ladder stand??...only if you are on a side of a ridge looking down the down side with trails headed down the hill. Outside of that I can't see where else you would want to be only 7 to 8ft off the ground. Just my opinion. Good luck to ya.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:16 AM
Typical Buck

I Hunt on the ground, More of a sport
Old 05-29-2009, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

I like to use my summit and climb somewhere between 15-25ft. I live in Eastern North Carolina and we have two types of cover here, thick, and impassable, and since I don't live in a farm I have to get in this crap and it's necessary for me to be up high, but if you're hunting relatively open fields or something and they're accustomed to seeing your stand, I don't see why a tower wouldn't work
Old 05-30-2009, 09:17 AM

Tree stands are less conspicuous.

Quick Reply: tower stand or tree stand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.