Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

camo in the cedar closet?

Old 04-26-2003, 09:30 PM

Default camo in the cedar closet?

Would it by advisable to store you camo in a cedar closet (no moth balls) during the offseason? to avoid too strong a smell perhaps bring it out a few weeks before season? or does it do additional things to the camo that im not seeing.
also wear i hunt i have seen a grand total of about 5 cedar trees, so would the scent be too unfamilar? let me know
thanks
Old 04-27-2003, 12:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: camo in the cedar closet?

Any scent that is unfamilar to the deer, is going to draw attention to yourself. In most case no scent is better than the wrong scent. Cedar chests or closets tend to leave a lasting odour on whatever is placed in them for long periods of time. So given that cedars are sparce in your area, I would refrain from storing gear in the cedar closet.

May I suggest you put your camo and gear in sealed rubbermaid containers. I have been doing this for years and it works great. I wash, dry my gear and then seal them until next year. If you want to add a cover scent, try putting earth, leaves, branches & other field materials from your area in the bottom of the container. Baking soda is good for neutralizing & absorbing odour as well, cheap and doesn' t take much. You can also buy scent waffers or other commericial products like scent lock bags, carbon products, etc to acheive the same results.
Old 05-19-2003, 05:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: camo in the cedar closet?

Skeeter nailed it , cedars are present in your area but may not be common enough . I use scent free bags to store my gear , no smell problems and minimal space required . [8D] I usually use FreshEarth or other scent discs to " flavor" the clothes , but dried leaves will work too .