Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wind

Old 03-30-2009, 05:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Wind

I was wondering I have always been told to hunt the wind which is correct Butt what are you supposed to do in a swirlinng wind ?? go higher in a tree I got busted 3 x last year and I am 20-24 ft up ?? and fully camo'd out out including my blind as well any tips or ideas on covering scent or a better stratagy would be great Thanks
Old 03-30-2009, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wind

It's real tough when the winds are swirling. All you can do is try to stay as scent free as possible. Spray yourself down with a scent killer, use a cover scent and most importantly try not to contaminate your hunting clothes. Keep them in a scent free bag until you get to your hunting area. Anything you can do to prevent odor is important but sometimes no matter what you do, it just isn't enough.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I agree a swirling wind is difficult.
It is also difficult for the deer especially if the noise level in the woods increases.

I always keep my hunting clothes in a big container away from other nasty odors.
I never use cover scents or scent killer sprays. IMO, you can never be scent free and using these products may be helpful, but it is not enough to fool a deer's nose.

I always try to hunt the wind.

I also make sure I NEVER touch any branches, twigs, leaves, etc with my bare hands.
Leaving nasty, oily, human scent in the woods is the worst thing you can do.
Even on warm/hot days,I wearthin gloves. Especially when putting on hunting clothes and boots.
Some hunters us all kinds of cover scents and scent killer sprays yet leave their scent on their boots and hunting clothes when they get dressed.

I also make sure to walk through any water to help the scent down from my boots.
My suggestion is to continue to hunt the wind, even on nasty days, and keep your movement to a minimum.
Good Luck!
Old 03-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Jimmy - Sound advise given....kudo's. Us NH hunters have to go the extra mile IMO. Although the deer here in NHis getting better year to year we do not have herd and harvest numbers like other states. Every little thing helps towards creating the opportunity for a shot.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Thank You for the info everyone
Old 03-31-2009, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will not hunt my honey hole or hot spots unless the wind is in my favor. If I feel the breeze change off my nose I become at full attention and if it truly has shifted or remains to swirl I get lost. Last deer season I hunted only one day in my hot spot the rest of the time I was relcutantly elsewhere on the account of unfavorable winds(be it wrong direction or shifting/swirling).I've busted a few out b/c I thought I could get byand won't chance it now. I spend more time scouting then hunting each falljust soI can havemore then Plan a or b.Unfortunately I can't pick the days for which i hunt so when I can I'm going just a matter of where and how long I'll be their. I am 100% ground hunting, though personally don't think that makes a huge difference if the wind is wrong it's wrong! Just MO though.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

If there is a bad wind or a swirling wind, I will often stay at home. No need in messing up a favorite hunting spot with a bad wind. A few years ago I climbed a tall pine 50 feet and still had deer blowing downwind.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I find a place where the wind isn't going to screw you. The wind is bouncing off something. I try to find a decent sized body of water that the deer are going around. I put my face to the wind and my back to the water.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Typical Buck

sometimes going higher in a tree will only spread your scent farther, keep you clothes in some kind of scent thats natural to your hunting area. i use fresh cut cedar,helps mask my scent . plus chiggers don't like cedar very much,i've been eat up a few times. carry a bottle of scent eliminater with you and use it often .

swirling wind can run that monster buck off your hunting property in a hurry.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Everyone,
those were some Great tips and advice, that certainly helped me think in a better way to hunt this fall.

Quick Reply: Wind

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.