Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Baiting ticket?

Old 03-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Baiting ticket?

In NYS, Encon's claim of receiving a " tip " has been used successfully as probable cause.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:03 AM
Fork Horn

game warden or not, law or not, he was on private property, and if the guy didn't invite him there he shouldn't have been there. as far as the ticke goes, he must have been trying to meet his quota, complete b.s.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:36 AM

Would have fought that one in court.that DNR officerwas hard up for an arrest....
Old 03-03-2009, 05:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

In Alabama as well as Florida, a game warden has more leeway than any other officer of the law. They do not require a search warrant,as long as they have probable cause, and that is a very broad discretion. In Florida the usage of game wardens on drug investigations is common.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:56 AM

What a dumb excuse for a game warden!He knew better.We have some of those here in MS,but we also have some that know the difference between baiting and something as inoccent as eating a few pecans.I guess there's one (or more) in every crowd.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some of you are saying probable cause. Is eating pecans on your way to a stand probable cause? Why was he even coming on the property?The GW should not have even been on the property, unless there has been illegal activity going on. This case is rediculous. I would have definately fought it. I probably would have spoken my mind about the situation to the GW. That probably wouldn't have helped my case, but it would have mademe feel better.At least I don't have to worry about this happening in LA. Baiting deer is perfectly legal.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Strutter,

My understanding is that if they know that any type of hunting activity is occurring on the property, then that provides probably cause toenter the property to check for potential illegal activity.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:03 AM

Even though the ticket is pure BS.I believe the Game Waden has every right to be on private land, unless the land is high fence and has only been stocked with game animals that you have purcased then the wildlife belongs to the State. If the Game Department does not utilize Game check stations then what other method do they haveat their disposal to ensure regulations are being followed? If you are obeying the laws, then what harm is there in them being on your property?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bobcats,

Its a question of priorities and common sense. Just about every state has a significant amount of public land that the GW's could be patrolling. Also, at least in my experience, road hunters account for a disproportionate amount of poaching. GW's are supposed to be stretched thin, so why not concentrate there efforts in those areas rather than wondering what Billy Bob is doing on his back 40. Its also pretty stupid to go creeping around on private property dressed in green when people are trying to hunt. I dont really buy the assertion that GW's should have the power to go where the wild game is located. Based on that logic, they can walk right into my house because they saw a squirrel crawl down my chimney.[]

Since a high fenced operation has other game on it besides deer, whose movement is not restricted, then I dunno why they don't have jurisdiction there as well.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

What I don't get is that he issued the ticket for pecan's when the hunter is hunting a food plot????????????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.