Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Which One?

Old 02-27-2009, 11:21 AM

Default RE: Which One?

Both are excellent deer calibers.I've used an '06 for 30 years(along with a.270),and with a 150 grain bullet I've never had one run after being hit.I know several friends that use a .308 and it does the trick plus it's super accurate (depending on the brand you buy).Between the two,I'd go with the '06.A .270 is plenty of gun though.The bolt action Rem 700 is highly accurate,it barely has any kick to it,and it will put 'em down(I use a 130 grain bullet).
Old 02-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't live in a State that allows rifle hunting for deer, but I needed to pick up a rifle for a hog hunt I was going on. I was debating between several different rifles. I ended up with a 30.06 because the range different ammo for it allows me to hunt just about anything I would ever want. If I ever make it out West for an elk hunt I can load up with 180 or 225 grain, or scale back to 125 grain for a pronghorn or hog hunt. Like I said, not allowed to use a rifle here, so buying one rifle that I could do anything with was very attractive to me.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

It doesn't get any more versatile than a .30-06 although it is too much gun for whitetails. They are thin skinned animals and not difficult to bring down. If you had to buy just one do all gun then let it be the .30-06.I like it's younger brother, the .25-06, much better for deer hunting. Much lighter recoil, shoots flatter like the .270and just as effective.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I go with the 06 because I have used my 06 for 15 yrs now and it has knocked down lots of whitetail. I like it for the fact you can use different loads.