Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

night time and the game

Old 01-31-2009, 05:00 PM
Spike

Default night time and the game

hi all, me and a friend are going to go spotting deer or any type of game animal at different locations at night; however, we want to know how deer and coyotees and stuff like that react to high powered led flashlights. do they get scared and run off, or is it possible for us to watch them from a distance without scaring them? We are first time hunters and wanted to check out some places where coyotes might possible live before we go out hunting for them. Best to understand your prey before you go out and try to bag it specially if you dont know what your doing, which would be us in this case
Old 01-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: night time and the game

Check out your states regs about spotlighting first, it's legal where I'm at but in some states you could get into serious trouble. And with my expierence, whitetail will run from alight, but mule deer sometimes don't. And if a coyote has been shot at, it'll run like a scared rabbitt.

Tobe
Old 02-01-2009, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: night time and the game

ORIGINAL: burningredphoenix

Best to understand your prey before you go out and try to bag it specially if you dont know what your doing, which would be us in this case
See if you can find an experienced hunter to work with who is willing to show you how to hunt safely, what to do and what not to do. If you are not experienced with wild animals (badgers, skunks,predators, bears, moose,cats, etc.), you may make them feel threatened with your actions. The result could be an attack by a wild animal. If you have mountain lions or bobcats, be aware they like to hunt at night. IMO, stick to scouting in the daytime if you are inexperienced.