Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Camo Painting Rifle

Old 01-28-2009, 07:01 AM

Default Camo Painting Rifle

Hey y'all my rifle needs a nice camouflage finish. I would need it to blend in well with hay or wheat fields, but also with trees and brush. Can you guys give me some ideas on what to do. Thanks
Old 01-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Camo Painting Rifle

Put a sock on it. I have a camo sock that I put over the barrel, and a neoprene cover that fits over my scope. I even glued some camo cloth to the inside and outside of my front flip up scope cover. Whenit isup, thecloth presents a no-glare camo disc, rather that shiny black plastic. Note that you need superglue to stick to HDPE plastic. As for the sock, you can buy them or make them. You could even use a different one for different seasons or terrain. Here's mine.

Note that the front of the scope looks shiny. The cloth cover fell off using a regular plastic glue. That's when I went to superglue.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

WWW.CAMO-SOLUTIONS.COM
Old 01-28-2009, 08:38 AM
Typical Buck

That's pretty cool, Peck1524. I got the feeling .243Heartshot didn't want to spend that kind of money.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look at Duracoat, can be found here
http://www.lauerweaponry.com/

Old 01-28-2009, 10:05 AM

I only want to spend 40 bucks on it it would be a diy project.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Duracoat costs about $17 for a 4oz can which will do about 4 long guns. You can get it in a ton of different colors which you can either mix together or apply separately as you see fit. If you already have a spray gun it will cost you somewhere around $34 to do 4 long guns.
For $34.95 you can get a camo pattern kit.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

I use removable bow spray paint. it comes in several colors and is cheap. Plus it comes off easy if I want to put it back 2 original.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

A number of companies offer camo tape you can apply that look good. They aren't suppose to harm the finish. It is cheap also. Check Cabela's or other on line stores.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:41 AM
Typical Buck

All the duracoat kits I saw were $100 without the airbrush. You go with a sock or tape for $10-$15. The deer don't care how fancy it is.
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_16740
This one is $8. It is made of t-shirt material and it is enough to cover your entire rifle. You can cut away parts to accomodate your scope, bolt, trigger, etc. If you or someone you know is handy with a needle and thread you canmake a pretty good covering. You can remove it, wash it and put it back on. If you go with tape, make sure it is not glossy. The only problem I have with tape is the residue left behind when you take it off.

I know guys who hunt with shiny stainless steel barrels and take lots of deer. I didn't need a camo rifle to get that 9-pointer above. But I have alsohad a deer walk up behind my stand and I had to remain still until they moved to a better spot. That's whenyou start to worry about your level of camo and it's too late to do anything about it.

Quick Reply: Camo Painting Rifle

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.