Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Reloading question -- Shotgun shells

Old 01-20-2009, 03:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Reloading question -- Shotgun shells

Ok with prices on ammo going through the roof. Its got me thinking of releading. I get the whole rifle, pistolreloading thing. That is pretty straigh forward and I have done a little of it in the past. However, I have never reloaded shotgun shells. While I picked up a bunch lately I still think reloading would be a good idea.

So my question is this. Since I live in a state that requires shotguns or ML for deer is there a way to reload slugs? I'm sure there is a way after all they load them to begin with but does it make sense to do so and is the equipment and supplies availible to do it?

Anyone ever reload them? I'm just curious because I love my 870 Slug gun and am wondering if its possible to custom load slugs like they do rifle cartriges.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Reloading question -- Shotgun shells

ORIGINAL: Jasonlester

Ok with prices on ammo going through the roof. Its got me thinking of releading. I get the whole rifle, pistolreloading thing. That is pretty straigh forward and I have done a little of it in the past. However, I have never reloaded shotgun shells. While I picked up a bunch lately I still think reloading would be a good idea.

So my question is this. Since I live in a state that requires shotguns or ML for deer is there a way to reload slugs? I'm sure there is a way after all they load them to begin with but does it make sense to do so and is the equipment and supplies availible to do it?

Anyone ever reload them? I'm just curious because I love my 870 Slug gun and am wondering if its possible to custom load slugs like they do rifle cartriges.
Yes you can.
My father used to reload slugs for me.
He is dead now.
I still have some he reloaded for me; I will never shoot them, because you know.
But you can get molds, for the slugs.
And make them yourself, and then load them in cases.
Just make sure you use the cases with the high brass on the cases.
Make sure to follow the formula from the reloader book.

Good Luck

Old 01-20-2009, 07:33 AM
Typical Buck

Jason, check out http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/index.php They have a reloading forum, as well as a slug shooters forum. Seems to be a great deal of info here, and I have picked plenty of good tips from this site. Many of these guys reload their own sabots, slugs, and shotshells.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna check into that. Would be nice to reload them myself. ,....

BTW jrbsr
Sorry to hear about your dad.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:44 AM

Just remember the machine the manufacturer uses to load the slugs is more consistant with loading the exact way each time and it is with a shell case that has not been used.I have reloaded thousands of shells for my gunning club for our trap shoots (they were 7 1/2's) and some of the problems I would have are the shells would not crimp perfectley every time,the shell casing would stretch if it was a cheep brand,and the cost of buying powder ,primer,wad,and lead in bulk was expensive and it takes alot of time (what is your time worth).you also wan't your slugs to be accurate andmadeto perfection.Check out what suppliers you have around your area and see if the materials are available and at what cost. Check out nachez on the internet they have great deals on slugs.Good Luck