Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

30-30 thoughts and stories

Old 01-14-2009, 04:01 AM
Spike

Default RE: 30-30 thoughts and stories

I started hunting with my grandfather's model 94 30-30. He bought it new and hunted with it for years. It was my dad's first rifle that he hunted with as well. Itthen became my first rifle. That was by far the coolest gun ever. I shot a few deer with it (missed more than a few as well!). No scope, open sights, top ejection. After I got my new rifle my brother hunted with it for years. It now gets cleaned every few months and might see the field once or twice a season. In the mean time it is waiting in the gun cabinet for my daughter to be old enough to start using it. That will be 4 generations of the same family using the same gun to take deer. In my opinion the 30-30 is one of the best rounds ever created for North american big game. That particular model 94 will never leave my family.