Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting from the ground w/out blind?

Old 01-09-2009, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting from the ground w/out blind?

You can do it, but if you can find some cover like a blowdown, a pile of brush, or something, it would be better. I like a blowdown because it often provides a rifle rest as well as concealment. Try to at least get your shape broken up somehow.

If you are hunting afternoon, go in a little earlier and give yourself time to pile a few branches and limbs around you. You can improvise a ground blind pretty quickly.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Father Forkhorn

You can do it, but if you can find some cover like a blowdown, a pile of brush, or something, it would be better. I like a blowdown because it often provides a rifle rest as well as concealment. Try to at least get your shape broken up somehow.

If you are hunting afternoon, go in a little earlier and give yourself time to pile a few branches and limbs around you. You can improvise a ground blind pretty quickly.
Couldn't have said it better! Ive used a tree for a back rest and a few branches to break my outline, it works great and pretty exciting when a deer comes!
Old 01-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Dominant Buck

One of my favorite ground blinds is a tree top from when my property was logged lastlocated on the rim of a sinkhole at the back of my property, I've shot more deer from there than anywhere the last five years, the only equipment required being a stool. You might also consider investing in or constructing a ghillie suit, having a ghillie suit means never having to say that you don't have the right camo for the venue.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

All of my deer have been shot from the ground and this Christmas is the first time I have ever had a tree stand so I will be trying some of thet next year to see what happens. But the biggest thing to remember when hunting from the ground is being as still as possible.. Good Luck..
Old 01-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Couldn't have said it better! Ive used a tree for a back rest and a few branches to break my outline, it works great and pretty exciting when a deer comes!
Another possibility is to take one of those nylon and tubular steel chairs that collapses together and goes into a little sack. It can be strapped on your back. Find a decent trail, set up in some cover or drag some limbs, and your in business. It does help to have a rest of some type, though, as you sit back in the chair. Aiming can be a little awkward. A monopod is good for this.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

i usually find a well used trail and sit against a tree alittle ways from it. i like sitting on the ground better than being in a blind
Old 01-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

How do you thinkpeople used to hunt before everyone had a a threestand and groundblind?
Old 01-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea it possible and its a lot of fun too (with a bow is a real rush!). Just hunt the wind and have a good gameplan. The deer in my avatar was killed from the ground. I just set upsome sticksand twigs in front of me to break up my outline.The deer fed toward me on astrip of berry bushesfor an hour before finallygetting to25 yards and turning broadside. good luck to ya, its a blast
Old 01-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Before treestands and blinds were invented that is how it was done. Sit downwind of the trail and conceal yourself and you can do it too.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:32 PM

I've killed most of my deer from the ground, some quite close. Just stay very still, wear good camo (on your face too) and try to get behind something. Play the wind too. It can definitely be done!

Quick Reply: Hunting from the ground w/out blind?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.