Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Firearms Last Day in MD

Old 01-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default Firearms Last Day in MD

I haven't been able to hunt uny during the firearms season here in MD. I got to hunt one day with my new Optima Elite ML, but I also have a .243 barrel for it and will be taking that out this Saturday. The weather is supposed to be really nasty here though. It will either be rain, freezing stuff or both. My Dad made up some test hand loads for it, but I haven't been able to try them out and have him load some of the best one. I will be using the last of a box of Corelocks, but I hope there are no more duds in the box as I had 2 of the first 16 fail to fire. Given those odds, there might be one more. I haven't taken anything with a firearm since the year before last, so hopefully it will work out. Good luck to everybody that has a late season in Jan.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Firearms Last Day in MD

Good luck out there Marshall9779. My friend, his son and I are going to be out both Friday and Sat. Where in MD are you, my area is calling for possibility of rain only.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Fork Horn

I live in Gaithersburg, but will be hunting just south of Westminster in Carrol County. In Gaithersburg they are calling for a mix in the morning changing to rain. In Westminster they are calling for a wintry mix all day there. I'd much reather it be frozen then rain or freezing rain. We'll see. I gotta run out and get a blaze vest as the only orange I have are hats and they wont do me any good under a hood. This will be the first time I've hunted in any kind of nasty weather in a couple years. I went and bought some balloons so I could cover the end of my barrel and at least keep the inside from rusting too bad.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I just found out that the place my co-worker was taking me is booked up so it looks like I will be heading to the McKee Beshers WMA. That being said I guess I'll have to swap over to the muzzy barrel for that. With it being wet and nasty tomorrow, I'll probably just stalk my way around the thick stuff and try and get someting that way rather than hauling my stand in there. It's probably about a mile or so to all my stand sites, so that's fine with me. I haven't still hunted in a while, so I'm actually looking forward to it.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

I live in Bowie and also hunt a farm in Bowie for guns, go elsewhere for archery. I got a very nice Doe yesterday morning. (Friday)