Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

treestand cover and positions

Old 12-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: treestand cover and positions

I bow hunt and if I can not find a tree with cover I make my it. In the past I have cut limbs and tied them to my tree. I used old military camo netting one time by hanging it off limbs I have tied in the tree. A couple of years ago a friend of mine was hunting from a ladder stand and he put fake vines and flowers that he got at the dollar store. They were made out of wire and he just wrapped them around the ladder of the stand. I did the same last spring to my bow while hunting turkeys they are real cheap. Good hunting.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

ORIGINAL: Crow31

You need good cover. You need the wind in your favor. Nobody has touched on noise pollution. Mature bucks spend 90% of their life in a core area of about 20-30 acres. In that small of an area any non-native sound is going to keep a buck away. Old stands, stands that aren't fastened tight enough, stackin' stix that aren't tight enough, they creak and pop. I've spooked deer when climbing up and my wedding band hit stackin' stick. Just a little "ting" can ruin your morning.
my parents have 35 acres and i hunt it. i have a ground blind, a stand, and soon 2 other stands that i will hunt out of.
here are pics of my stand location. i have to adjust something becasue the seat is crooked against the tree and it kills my back. tell me what i should do.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3249936&mpage=2&key=
first ,pick a bigger tree, if you can..

in archery small tree is fine but when wind blows in winter,THAT BIG OLE TREE IS LIFESAVER.

next, see how your tree comes bent out where you sit..

find a tree that bends BACKWARD, the more the better,then you can lean back.

i cant stress how much you need to find a BIG TREE in winter.

i dont even use my climbing stands in winter anymore as they can only fit tree so big and wind moves you around here in pa.

you should have seen guy 75 yds from me the first week of deer SWAYING in tree with climbing stand.

i almost got sea sick watching him but it did let me pass the day watching him.

ladder treestand does work fine on UNSPOOKED deer but with way the deer are SPOOKED here in wmu2g of pa.

climbing stand is one to use now if you want to increase your odds of getting buck.

i may have to go to CLIMBING STAND again after first day of buck season as those hunters are now ruining my hunt and got my area all stunk up and shot out.

so, sproul may go nocturnal next year and use his climbing stand
Old 12-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: RJPOUTDOORS

I bow hunt and if I can not find a tree with cover I make my it. In the past I have cut limbs and tied them to my tree. I used old military camo netting one time by hanging it off limbs I have tied in the tree. A couple of years ago a friend of mine was hunting from a ladder stand and he put fake vines and flowers that he got at the dollar store. They were made out of wire and he just wrapped them around the ladder of the stand. I did the same last spring to my bow while hunting turkeys they are real cheap. Good hunting.
really dont need ANY camo for your stand other than taking black ones and putting the camo paint on the ladder.

this will help keeping it from sticking out to hunters,black color does stick out to hunters .

as for deer, no stand bothers a deer.

now, up where you sit, i agree on camo stuff as it wil allow you to move more.

but, it will flap in wind and make noise.

now, if you can wrap it around where you sit, it could keep wind off your legs, man, thats nice at 15 above here in pa BUT most will make noise in wind.

if you pick a BIG tree, no need for any camo as you will not be to skylined.

this is why i like pine tree the best.

smell of pinein tree MASKS my smell, i smoke my clothes with pine needles/leaves in fire at home,no scents you buy at store for me, i feel they sometimes scare deer away.

no pine trees, i try to find a big a oak or chestnut tree.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

so you think my tree is good or not?
Old 12-22-2008, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

no,find tree that leans back not ahead or straight
Old 12-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

ok ill try. dam thats gonna be hard to do....................i dont have very many other straight trees but ill look tomorrow.
if im out there a lot tomorrow working and stuff, when do you think the deer will become more comfortable with the area again?
Old 12-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ok ill try. dam thats gonna be hard to do....................i dont have very many other straight trees but ill look tomorrow.
if im out there a lot tomorrow working and stuff, when do you think the deer will become more comfortable with the area again?
YOU HAVE TO USE TREE YOU HAVE AT TIMES.

IF YOU ARE ONLY IN TREE A FEW HRS, ITS OK, IF YOU ARE YOUNG, ITS OK.

NOW, IF DEER ARE PRESSURED ONLY 3 THINGS WORK,RUT,SOMEONE PUSHING DEER AND BEING IN STAND AT NOON.

PRESSURED DEER WILL FEED AT NOON,NOT AT DAYLIGHT OR SUNSET.6PM THEY HEAD TO FEED AND 4 AM BACK TO HIDE.

ONLY CHANCE IN MY OPINON IS NOON TIME IF YOU ARE TREESIOTTING FOR PRESSURED DEER.

NO PRESSURE, THEN HUNT AT DAYLIGHT/SUNSET.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

YOU HAVE TO USE TREE YOU HAVE AT TIMES.

IF YOU ARE ONLY IN TREE A FEW HRS, ITS OK, IF YOU ARE YOUNG, ITS OK.

NOW, IF DEER ARE PRESSURED ONLY 3 THINGS WORK,RUT,SOMEONE PUSHING DEER AND BEING IN STAND AT NOON.

PRESSURED DEER WILL FEED AT NOON,NOT AT DAYLIGHT OR SUNSET.6PM THEY HEAD TO FEED AND 4 AM BACK TO HIDE.

ONLY CHANCE IN MY OPINON IS NOON TIME IF YOU ARE TREESIOTTING FOR PRESSURED DEER.

NO PRESSURE, THEN HUNT AT DAYLIGHT/SUNSET.

yeah when i saw the deer when i was squirrel hunting i saw them at 1 o clock. i guess i can just leave it where it is and should i hunt at noon? and what about hunting in the morning or afternoon?
Old 12-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

are you gonna be hunting in the morning or in the evening? either way i try to keep the sun to my back, and climb as high as i can to get out of their excellent olfactory system's range (at least 20 ft.). last year it worked great, saw more deer in the 2007 season than ever before, but this year's another story. i've been hunting from the ground alot more and it's more difficult.