Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

treestand cover and positions

Old 12-21-2008, 08:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: treestand cover and positions

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

what im asking is would it be a better idea to move my stand a little lower to get more cover?

if you have WIND in your favor,you can be 6 ft off ground.

if not, higher is better but dont go over 20 ft,too many accidents up that high, not worth any buck for that.

in archery i get about 10 ft off ground,yes, limbs hide me.

i make sure wind is inmy favor but wind changes.

in gun season, not much higher than around 10 ft too but my shots are over 100 yds,not necessary to get high,before a buck winds me, he is goner.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

what im asking is would it be a better idea to move my stand a little lower to get more cover?

if not, higher is better but dont go over 20 ft,too many accidents up that high, not worth any buck for that.

in gun season, not much higher than around 10 ft too but my shots are over 100 yds,not necessary to get high,before a buck winds me, he is goner.
i use a TON of scent control and the wind is usually in my favor so ill lower it to around 10 feet. ill post up pics
Old 12-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sproulman

i use a TON of scent control and the wind is usually in my favor so ill lower it to around 10 feet. ill post up pics
i dont use any of that scent spray .

i smoke my clothes in yard with pine needles and leaves.

it stays on your clothes for longtime.

i seen hunters up 25 ft and still get winded by deer,i seen hunters on ground not get winded.

wind changes and nothing you can do but try to put up more than 1 stand or only hunt your stand on days that wind is in your favor.

i walk into my stand in morning, if wind is wrong ,i leave and go to my other stand.

i only hunt bucks and if you spook a big buck, chances are you will not see him again unless he is rutting.

get WIND right and you dont have to be as high in tree and in gun season, your shots are longer and you can be lower..

my favorite height here in pa is about 15 ft max.

you can see best with this height.

get up 25 ft and see how much you can see in gun season, NOT VERY FAR.

stick to around 12/15 ft max and you will be fine and pick a tree with lots of limbs around you.

i like pine trees best in gun season as i can hunt low and it breaks wind and hides me a lot.

Old 12-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

You need good cover. You need the wind in your favor. Nobody has touched on noise pollution. Mature bucks spend 90% of their life in a core area of about 20-30 acres. In that small of an area any non-native sound is going to keep a buck away. Old stands, stands that aren't fastened tight enough, stackin' stix that aren't tight enough, they creak and pop. I've spooked deer when climbing up and my wedding band hit stackin' stick. Just a little "ting" can ruin your morning.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Crow31

You need good cover. You need the wind in your favor. Nobody has touched on noise pollution. Mature bucks spend 90% of their life in a core area of about 20-30 acres. In that small of an area any non-native sound is going to keep a buck away. Old stands, stands that aren't fastened tight enough, stackin' stix that aren't tight enough, they creak and pop. I've spooked deer when climbing up and my wedding band hit stackin' stick. Just a little "ting" can ruin your morning.
scents have scared more bucks than anything.

some hunters put it out like after shave lotion.

it scares doe too.

if doe is scared, so will buck.

this is why i use 2 ladder stand locations now.

i dont hunt the same spot everyday, about every 2 days or so.

even then on publicland you have these STALKING HUNTERS, yes, they follow you around ,peeking at you.

they have ruined my hunting more than once .

once they find where you are at, FLOP they sit their fat a right near you.

i feel killing a nice buck today is more luck than skill as skill goes out window on PUBLICLAND NOW.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Crow31

my parents have 35 acres and i hunt it. i have a ground blind, a stand, and soon 2 other stands that i will hunt out of.
here are pics of my stand location. i have to adjust something becasue the seat is crooked against the tree and it kills my back. tell me what i should do.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.a...age=2&key=
Old 12-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

The most important thing is to have cove behind you. I hunt ladder stands a lot and its rare to be picked out. If you have a good tangle of limbs behind you then you will just blend in. You dont need any cover in front of you. Movement is always key in any set up. Thats what gives you away most times.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

IMO your setup looks great. As far as making it more comfortable, about the only thing you can do is try moving it to one side or the other, or find a different tree.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:29 PM

I don't worry too much about cover in front of me. When rifle hunting, I set up about 50 to 100 yards from were I expect the deer to appear. The follow pic of my ladder stand is covering a trail crossing a powerline 50 yards from the stand. I only hunt it if the wind is in our favor.

Even while bow hunting, I just make sure I have a good back drop. The key is sitting still. Last night I was sitting in my Summit and two does came within 20 yards of my stand. They were very nervous as it was raining and the wind was picking up. Being 20ft up, I was able to slowly stand and draw on the big doe without her seeing me. Unfortunately it was too dark and I couldn't see her through my peep sight. She never saw me and I had no cover between us. Alot of cover can limit your shot opportunities. Sitting still with little to no cover works better for me.

My son in one of our rifle stand set-ups

Old 12-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

that picture was taken when it was real gloomy out BTW. i will bowhunt there too and i will need to move for that.
i like the idea of lowering it but what would be the DOWNSIDES of lowering it? becasue i just dont want to get busted agin

Quick Reply: treestand cover and positions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.