Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you process your own deer?

Old 12-18-2008, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you process your own deer?

I have in the past on a little deer I took when first hunting. I had no idea what I was doing and do ok at best.

But I have learned alot since and probably will try one if I get another this year. My bigest problem is the space to do it. My butcher does one at a time and vacume packs everything. I like the steaks and roast mostly. I don't care much for alot of ground. I eat it I just prefer the other stuff. So I'm thinking I'll get a vacumn sealer and a table and go for it on my next one. Got to make some room in the garage I guess.

Pluss its been several weeks since I shot my doe and I've heard nothing from the butcher. Which is strange they have been great in the past.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:09 AM

ORIGINAL: hossdaniels

Yes, but I'm lucky. My family has a monster 220v grinder that we use to grind hogs. If I had to use those $300 P.O.S. grinders that basspro sells, I would have to let someone else do it. A friend of mine bought one(3/4 hpI think)and it took him two hours to grind2 deer(hams/shoulders)! Might as well do it by hand, I told him to throw his deer in the freezer and we will grindthem all togetherthe season is over. We can grind 600 lbs/hr easily. Takes longer toset up/clean than it does grinding. I eat the loins plain, they dont need much help.
Man when I was a kid my dad would put at least two deer a year in the freezer and all we had was a old hand crank grinder. We had a bench that we would clamp it to and I would sit on it an crank it till on arm got tired and then I would switch arms! I would never pay someone else to procees my deer. If I had the land and the means to do it I would raise and butcher my own pork and beef as well.
Old 12-18-2008, 07:15 AM

ORIGINAL: trac209

yes because i know how it was handled and would not want to get somebodys meat who may or may not have been taken care of like i do. i have heard some horror stories of guys bringing deer in to be process that sat in the bush all night un dressed and they are hoping some other sucker gets his meat. most of the process guys here if not all just give your meat in pounds and not all your meat. i don't like that fact plus i'm a good butcher and like to do it myself.
X2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was taught to when I was younger as a part of learning to hunt. It is part of the overall experience!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:51 AM
Dominant Buck

I do my own and I will tell you why. I control how long it hangs, where it hangs, how I want the meat and how it is wrapped. Last time I needed a butcher I was going on a trip a day afterI killed a deer. I needed to have someone do it so I could leave on the hunting trip. The deer lay on a concrete floor in a cooler for about 5 days and then was cut up with thin steaks and all kinds of crap in the burger. The meat tasted bad and the steaks were too thin to be tender and rare. I do it my way and actually enjoy the process. It takes me about 4 hours from the skinning to clean up so it isn't that bad.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have done my own all of my life. That way, I know that all of the grisile is gone, and the deer that I shot and the meat I field dressedis the same that ends up in my freezer.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do my own- I've had them processed before, it turned out okay but it was expensive. Started doing it myself about 6 years ago- takes a little extra time, but its worth it.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: GRIZZLYMAN

I have done my own all of my life. That way, I know that all of the grisile is gone, and the deer that I shot and the meat I field dressedis the same that ends up in my freezer.

I totally agree. My dad, brother, and I take great care with our deer and the flavor reflects it. Often times with a processor, they will give you back the poundage equivalent of what you brought in, and not necessarily the specific deer that you brought to them (this is especially true with grindings). So you don't know how well other hunters took care of their deer that gets tossed in with yours, and the processor might do a very sloppy job with trimming. A lot of them will give you the option of ensuring you get your deer back for a premium, but why pay for something that I can do myself??
Old 12-19-2008, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ditto

ORIGINAL: gregrn43

I do mine its to expensive to have it done. All it takes is a little time.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive heard some of the horror stories on how people bring in there deer. I really don't want the chance of mine being mixed in with those type of deer. There are a couple butchers that I know of that really take pride in giving people back there game, so in a crunch I would get them processed by someone I trust.

Quick Reply: Do you process your own deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.