Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Only seeing young deer during season

Old 12-11-2008, 08:18 PM

Default Only seeing young deer during season

I know this is not a problem but this is kind of weird. 4 years ago I started hunting at 25. Last year I got my first deer. I am doing shot gun in IL. Last year I got a 1.5 year old button buck. This year I got my limit of two deer. Before thanksgiving I got about a year old button buck and this past Saturday I got a 1.5 year old doe.

When hunting I am only seeing young deer. Since I love venison I like have very tender meat. What I am not sure about is why after the fawns have left there mother all of the older does and younger (6-8) point bucks leave our property and all I have left is year and a half and younger deer. Last year my buck was around 85lbs. This year my buck was 76 and the doe was 92 field dressed.

I was very happy with my 2nd deer Saturday. I got the doe at about 80 yards out with open sites on my shot gun. Just wentover the heart and hit an artery and a little of the liver. Weird part is I hit her and she just walked off. Did not even run. Went about 40 yards and fell. Got out of the stand and just asI got to her she died. I have never even taken even a practice shot at that distance. At first I thought I missed because she walked off. Did find out a fresh few inches of snow makes pulling a deer out of the woods a lot easier.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Only seeing young deer during season

As long as you use the meat i dont think it really matters how big a deer is. Yea ive went a couple years before and only seen young deer, it just happens i think. And nice kill shot with a shotgun