Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another Va buck from my woods!

Old 12-02-2008, 07:13 AM

Default RE: Another Va buck from my woods!

yes it is a nice buck, and it is his 2nd nice buck in his career....he has waited along time for it.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Thats a really cool deer !

All you guys from VA always say that there are no big bucks, but I'm not seeing that.

Apparently VA is COVERED UP IN DEER. So, there has to be some pigs floating around and you've kinda shown evidence of that.

There are some really big deer in VA.

The key/difficult part of actually taking those deer is getting them to move during legal hunting hours. The rut to a certain extent will move some big bucks, but this time of the year after the hounds have hit the woods, natural buck movement is mostly at night. It will often take a drive, dogs or some other 3rd party source of disturbance to kick one up. We don't have the weather the guys in the midwest have, and VA is so full of food sources for deer, that they can live almost anywhere. Its tough to find a good concentration of bucks in one spot... or even just one spot a buck prefers to use.... because they can literally survive anywhere... its like looking for a needle in a stack of needles.

Thats a brute Landon. Y'all do much at Brandon last week?
Old 12-02-2008, 07:25 AM
Typical Buck

Was he injured on his right side somewhere? Looks a little smaller on the left side...just curious. Helluva buck though.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:27 AM

he wasn't injured but the left side is smaller for some reason.. Andy we killed a nice 8 on sat, and a few smaller bucks..
Old 12-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

he wasn't injured but the left side is smaller for some reason.. Andy we killed a nice 8 on sat, and a few smaller bucks..

We had about 35 standers on the morning hunt Friday.... and we killed 43 deer... just in the morning! Had one little 9 year old boy shoot 4 does sitting with his granddaddy... he was running around smiling talkin about how he had to shoot like 12 shells! He was all pumped and fired up! Thats the one thing I love about hunting with hounds is the kids... almost every single member down there Friday had at least one youngin' with them, and of those 43 killed, probably 25-30 were shot by hunters under the age of 15. They shot a friggin' brute on Thursday and they shot a decent sized 10 pointer on Friday. The guy who shot it gave Rebecca the horns... which was pretty nice of him... he said he's killed 40 that size in his life and all he'd do is let the dogs chew on 'em anyway. Might make her some rattling horns.

The season was 12 days old... and the deer Rebecca shot was #174 for the year... and they broke 200 by the end of the day... they've been killin' a few!

I'm still pumped for Eric getting another chance at that deer. Thats a pretty rare thing in Virginia, especially post rut and post hounds. Thats a great buck.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck from VA!
Old 12-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats an awesome buck! It's bigger than people may think...If you got a front side pic of him I'd be wanting to yell 120+ or 130.

I love to hear stories about bucks missed during bow but taken during gun.

I videoed a 120 class 9 pointer in August one year while scouting...I shot him on October 18th and the video added a sweet piece to my memory. I have the DVD of him next to my photo and mount on my wall.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Nice very nice...
Old 12-02-2008, 10:59 PM

That is very nice. Wow
Old 12-03-2008, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Thats a nice buck.

Quick Reply: Another Va buck from my woods!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.