Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Patterning Big Woods Whitetails

Old 11-29-2008, 08:02 AM

Default Patterning Big Woods Whitetails

Does anyone have any good ideas or techniques on patterning big woods whitetails? I hunt in northern Wisconsin and with the lack of crops and other food sources it has become hit and miss with deer stands and seeing deer. The deer have no real set pattern that i have noticed since they browse and bed wherever they want. There is always baiting... but i am trying real hard to stay away from this technique. Plus, I'm sure that baiting will be illegal in Wis very soon. Any and all help would greatly appreciated.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Spike

Default RE: Patterning Big Woods Whitetails

I'd start with a topo mapand/or aerial photosof your area. Look for ridges, pinch points, edges, etc. It will get you started. But you need to put in a lot of foot work. I've been huntingstate forest & game landsin north central PA for about 10 years now & I'm still learning something each season. My problem is not being able to get the foot work in. Most times, it has been a learningas I go process & relying on some guidance from others in camp. One area I found last year, where I had seen several nice bucks, was now fenced in this year! I was outside the posted land last year by at least 100 yds. Apparently, not all of it was posted. So, I moved on to another area that I have spent limited time in the last few years. I concentrated on this area in bear season this week & I'll be back in on Monday for deer season. Nice thick area, good sign & I've seen no one hunting it in the past. Good luck.