Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best Climber Stand?

Old 11-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best Climber Stand?

ORIGINAL: Centauri

Our ladder stand is huge, so we can't get into areas where the deer are, which is usually in thick areas of the forest. We only use it for 2 days out of the year, so its not worth it.
i took a old wheel chair wheelsand conduit from lowes and made a CART to haul my stand into roughs areas .

i made cart width of the ladder stand.

then i use cart to haul my bucks out of ROUGHEST areas.

trust me, ole sproul gets in thick stuff and its not hard with ladder stand.

i bolt all my sections together on ground at tree,then i take a little pulley wheel i carry in my pocket.

i take a string with a heavy nut from my tool box.

i throw the nut and string up over a limb at 20 ft.

down to the pulley wheel and keep pulling until my ROPE starts throw it up over limb.

then i tie rope to my ladder stand,up it goes to PULLEY at limb.

then i stop and adjust ladder to tree at top from ground.

ican put up a ladder stand doing it myself and a 20 ft one too.

i used to put wheels on bottom of the ladder and haul it in that way and load my deer on it and bring it out but i got tired tearing stand down affter hunting all day, so, i built a homemade cart that is perfect for my ladder stand and use that to haul my deer out..

Old 11-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

Summit climbers all the way!!!I didn't like climbing stands for saftey reasons and would not use them.I heard everyone talk about the summit viper and how safe and comfortable it is.So i boughta used one and all I can say is WOW!I love it,I have ladder stands put up but I hunt out of my summit more than I use my ladder stands anymore.It is very solid all the way around,weather your climbing up the tree,coming down,or sitting in the tree hunting,she doesn't move at all!I am a little on the tall side,so im going to purchase me a SummitTitan in the coming months,they are even more roomier than the goalith!But i would go wtih Summit tree stands.They may be pricey,but you get what you pay for!
Old 11-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

Lone wolf. I won't say they are the most comfortable out there but, if you want portability and performance....there the best IMO. I have a couple in the family and it looks like the improvements they made to the seat this past year will make a long sit very pleasing.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love my summit packpacker because it folds flat, it's quiet and I got it quite a bit cheaper off Ebay. The thing is also very comfortable. Mine is a little older model so it doesn't have the high back on it but I still love it. I have been thinking about getting the new seat and backrest though, because they look like they would be awesome.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

Not to hijack the thread, but I have the opportunity to geta Summit Viper XLS for $125....great deal I think....

What do you think??
Old 11-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

+1 to all the comments about the Summit Viper. I have one (the Viper X4 model) and it is the most incredible, most lightweight but rugged, and most comfortable treestand I have ever had.
I have actually nodded off to sleep more than a few times in it too... [:-]

bhunter50, the Summit XLS (if I remember right) is the steel model and a little heavier than the all aluminum Viper/Goliath/etc... models. But then I think that model has the swing up/overhead camo bar, that can be used as an excellent rifle rest.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

SUMMIT VYPER
Old 11-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Typical Buck

I have to ask. . .Why are Summit's the best? I like their new high end seat. I like their stirups, but they are not a must and can be put on most stands.

The deal breaker for me with Summit is that you have to have two hands to work the cable through once around the tree as far as I can tell. I have 1 hand, but even if I had 2, I would be holding the stand with one, so I would need 2 more. Am I not getting something? I must be, because so many hunter's swear by Summits. Of course, lots of people swear by Leupolds, but I don't fancy them much either.

With the Equalizer, I hold the stand with my left hand, throw the cable around the tree with my right, then grab it with my right hand and carefully(quietly) set the keyhole slots. This is a quick, easy way to set up a stand with one hand.

I have a cable stand and it works ok, but feeding the loop was a loud and clumsy experience for me.

Also, if I'm a slot away from level, I can adjust the Equalizer on the tree to get it more level.

It also has 2 rows of biting teeth per section. I think they are the only climber with double teeth.

Last, ith the platforms biting the tree well, and the lock straps secured, I can stand and lean side to side with confidence. Does the summit have a way to do that? My buddy says he keeps his safety strap tight to avoid leaning against the stand with his Summit.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:53 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt a lot of public land so a good stand is a must. It must be very easy to pack, light weight, quite, and sturdy. I have built up a decent collection of climbers over the years, but will probably be selling all of them since I have bought what is IMO the perfect climber. The Equalizer EQ24 is hands down the best climber I've ever used. It is the most packable, easiest to set up, quitest, and easiest to use. You will never be able to fully appreciatethe ability to adjust the climber while you are in the tree until you own one of these stands. It has PLENTY of room and is rated at 350lbs. The platform is very nice and roomy also which is great since all I do is bow hunt. The "system" that it uses to lock the two pieces together is the best on the market. Once locked in place the stand isn't going anywhere. You can tell that this stand was built by hunters not a lab coat guy.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:44 AM
Typical Buck

X10000 - Summit Viper! I weight 240 and feel safe in the viper. I can sit it in for 13 hours with no problem. The only thing better would be my livingroom recliner.

Quick Reply: Best Climber Stand?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.