Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

BBD IL Buck

Old 11-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BBD IL Buck

Vabowman, I've seen the amish go across fields at the end of the day and load deer onto a haywagon. Get a grip man,,, beardstowndeerhunter
great job, you guys had a very successful week at camp! You have a buck truck instaed of pole thats all!
Old 11-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

congrats on the nice buck!
Old 11-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a nice buck! He looks like a dandy! I wouldn't worry about the deer. I shot mine last Saturday and Im letting him age right now. Temps are in the mid 30's here and perfect for aging. Ill get him butchered up tomorrow.I know plenty of Deer camps that shoot lots of deer anddon't butcher them until 4 or 5 days after they are shot. Ive been to many deer camps and I rarelt see anyone who butchers there deer at camp. You wait until the weekend is over or you head back home. As long as the weather is right, you can let a deer hang. You think cows are processed the same day they are killed? Aged meetIMO tastesreal good!
Old 11-26-2008, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fastetti

Congrats on a nice buck! He looks like a dandy! I wouldn't worry about the deer. I shot mine last Saturday and Im letting him age right now. Temps are in the mid 30's here and perfect for aging. Ill get him butchered up tomorrow.I know plenty of Deer camps that shoot lots of deer anddon't butcher them until 4 or 5 days after they are shot. Ive been to many deer camps and I rarelt see anyone who butchers there deer at camp. You wait until the weekend is over or you head back home. As long as the weather is right, you can let a deer hang. You think cows are processed the same day they are killed? Aged meetIMO tastesreal good!
I worked in a meat packing place and nothing was processed on the same day it was killed.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've routinely hung them forup toa week in the right weather. One is hanging now that was shot last Saturday.

Folks surecan get preachy about things they have no knowledge of.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Typical Buck

Totally agree with the majority here, absolutely nothing wrong with letting a deer hang as long as it is field dressed. Talked to a veteran 35 year butcher and he said a deer hanging in the cool temps can last a long time and there is no risk to it at all.

Brown its down!! Ha, nice work beardstown!!
Old 11-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Heck, go to Italy or Sicily, ain't no or very little refrigeration in those markets. I like hanging them for a week if the cold temps hold.