Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you shoot a small buck 4 meat?

Old 11-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you shoot a small buck 4 meat?

If that was the situation ...You better believe it. But if I have a chance at a doe I'll take her first...

There is no arguing that they can get bigger if your killing them. So if you want big deer you got to let them walk. Now that only works if most people around do the same.

BTW Ohio only allows 1 buck. So I choose to be a bit pickey.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can't eat horns, so shoot a doe. If there aren't any doe around...You probably shouldn'tbe shooting anything and help the population grow. That little buck might be the stud that sires many decendants.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Spike

I put if it was the end of the season and i needed meat, but i would actually shoot a small buck anytime I had no meat. so if it is the beginning of the season and the frezzer is empty and a spike is the first thing to walk by, Sorry little buddy.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:45 PM

NEVER-i let them walk
Old 11-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually let the small bucks walk. I have let every buck I had a chance at killing for the last 3yrs. and that is mostly on public land. Saturday morning for our Wisconsin gun opener I passed on a medium sized doe and fawn. I decided if anything came by bigger than the medium sized doe that I would take it. Sunday morning rolled around and a small 8pt. walked out, he was bigger than the doe I seen Saturday so I decided to take him. I was in the mood to put another rack on the wall. I've had a three yr dry spell on harvesting a buck. ( because I usually let the small bucks walk)
I know I will still have 3-4 days left to rifle hunt this week, but I know from experience that after the first weekend, when you hunt public forest you have to step on them to get them to move. Those big bucks seem to be nearly impossible to get a shot at after first weekend unless you can manage to drive them out.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:19 PM
Site Buck Guru

No, I would shot a doe for meat or go buy some beef.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

If we shoot the small bucks, we'll never see large bucks. I won't shoot any buck not large enough to hang on the wall,and here in Kansas, I hold out for at least a 140 class buck.I don't shoot a buck every year, but when I do, I'm thrilled to death.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:45 PM

i will shoot a small one in a heart beat
Old 11-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would much rather shoot a doe than a little buck.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it comes downto filling a tag or nothing, well I will fill the tag,would rather take a doe.

Quick Reply: Would you shoot a small buck 4 meat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.