Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

do I stop a moving deer or shoot while moving

Old 11-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Spike

Default do I stop a moving deer or shoot while moving

I dropped the ball so to speak today. I had the biggest buck of my life come along a flat but he would not stop. He was definitely trailing a doe and he was trotting at a steady pace. I kept the scope on it for a while waiting for it to stop but it was getting close to going over the hill out of sight. So I took a shot while it was trotting and missed.

I am in a deep depression but Iwant to learn from it. Should I have tried to stop the deer? What method, yelling (i can't whistle)? I tried yelling at one last year that had one thing on its mind and it never slowed down and it ended up walking over the hill because I didn't want to shoot while it was moving. This year I took the moving shot and missed. Help please!
Old 11-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: do I stop a moving deer or shoot while moving

Yelling usually works. Dont be scared to try it, especially if he is leaving anyway.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes you get to the point that you have to do something. Just watching a big, mature buck trot out of sight, without the chance for a shot can be very frustrating and disappointing.

In cases like that I will try to stop the deer by making a loud sound. Not yelling or whistling but a soung that ends in Wyatt Earp's last name......(sounds kinda strange, I know but it sometimes works ). I simple 'ERP' may do the trick. In most cases this sound will not frighten any deer. They may simply ignore it or hopefully stop long enough for a decent shot.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I usually just grunt or bleat with my mouth (the famous "mah")
Works for me everytime, sometimes you have to do it a couple times though.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

If a deer is running I just start whistleing to get it's attention. It's worked for me so far.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

The "mah" works for me. I learned the hard way to aim first then "mah".
Old 11-24-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Put your scope on it and give your best doe impression as soon as he stops blast him. I've don it it works.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

the "mah" works for me too... dropped an 8-pointer last year that was on the move, and he stopped dead in his tracks when he heard the "mah"

Old 11-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Spike

The "Mah" is the best thing i have found to work. If he doesn't stop the first time repeat it louder and loder until he stops. Have your scope on him first, when he hears it he will stop and then all you have to do is check your aim and fire.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:01 PM

If your a good shot & know you have the skill to put it down while on the move, then do so...

Quick Reply: do I stop a moving deer or shoot while moving

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.