Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer groaning after being shot

Old 11-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer groaning after being shot

Ok I have a question. Anyone have a deer do this after shooting them. My daughter shot a doe this morning. She was usinga 12 gauge and shot the deer at 25 yards. The deer flipped onto her back and groaned and was kicking. We both thought she was done for or we would have got another round in her. Then she just got up and walked over to the left. I got the gun from her and was going to put another round in her but I slid the slide of the 870 back slow as to not scare the deer. Unfortunatly it did not eject and I had to pull the shell out by hand. In the mean time she walked out of my view. We waited 20 minutes to get down. We checked the shot site and found good amount of blood there. Followed it until it crossed our normal path in and out. So then we backed out for 2 hours. When we went back we trailed for a good ways (100 yards total maybe) but it was through some thick stuff and it just quit.

We'd have puddles 8 inch dimeter at first then it got less and less.

I can't imagine it not down out there somewhere after seeing the deers reaction. I called a buddy to have more than one set of eyes on it.

If we can find her I'll post the pics. (I hate posting that)

Anyone ever have a deer groan like that. She thinks she may have hit it low in the base of the neck/front of the chest.

Wish us luck.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer groaning after being shot

Probably not groaning but sucking wind through a hole in the airway by the sound of the shot location.

Dead deer go get it!!
Old 11-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Planter

Probably not groaning but sucking wind through a hole in the airway by the sound of the shot location.

Dead deer go get it!!
We are headed out now. Hope your right. Sounds like and looked like a pretty good hit.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

I shot a buck two years ago that groaned, sagged, and fell. Never got back up but it did take a few minutes to expire.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

I had a doe groan a few years ago.. my shot.. went thru both shoulders rendering her front legs usless.. she pushed her self into the brush groaning the hole way.. expired in the brush a few minutes later
Old 11-23-2008, 01:11 PM

I spined a doe before.She made a groaning I'll never forget.I recovered her in a short distance and did finish the job eye to eye.That was the first of two times in 18 yrs. I had to do that.I respect my quarry and give thanks.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck finding her.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well bad news guys. I took a buddy back to the trail. We found two more drops in the next 5 feet and nothing after that. Then we started grid searching. No more blood and no Doe. We brought a dog over but it wouldn't follow it. It isn't trained but it was a shot at it. I may have to go back tomorrow after work. I hate it and my daughter is bummed.

I think I satarted leaving more of a blood trail than she did. This stuff is pretty thick.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

I shot a deer, with a bow, that groaned when I shot it. I hit the deer behind the front soulder and when the arrow hit it let out a very loud groan. The deer made it a total of 50 yards. Keep lookin, the deer's there somewhere.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

The doe I shot this past weekend groaned when I shot her.

Quick Reply: Deer groaning after being shot

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.