Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Doe bleat can calls

Old 11-18-2008, 09:18 PM

Default Doe bleat can calls

Hi everyone.

I have a primos estrus bleat can call and have a question. How often should I use the can in a sequence? For example 2 or 3 turns every 15 minutes? is that correct?if so,Are those 2 or 3 turns back to back, or a minute or two in between?

I've heard many diff opinions on this and am just confused as I don't want to over use it, or under use it..lol the rut is on right now in my neck of the woods and am going out in the a.m. with the can, any advice would be GREATLY appreciated...

I have a grunt call as well, and was thinking maybe inbetween bleats throw in a soft grunt here and there...

As you can prob tell I am fairly new to hunting, have a few deer under my belt, but nothing really nice yet...so I am looking for advice from some of you smart ones

Thanks for any help guys

-Scott
Old 11-18-2008, 09:56 PM

Default RE: Doe bleat can calls

You are on the right track. I use mine no more than five times in a row. hit it once, listen for a about 30 seconds to heara deer coming, look around hit it again. if you are new to calls one thing you will find is that deer are beyond excellent as spotting where the sound is coming from. always looks around before using the call. a few weeks ago I hit my grunt tube a few times, looked behind me and a mature doe was looking straight at me. even though I was mostly hidden by me tree she still spotted me and spooked. good luck. some deer pay them no attention, but some do!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:04 PM

ORIGINAL: captainron62

You are on the right track. I use mine no more than five times in a row. hit it once, listen for a about 30 seconds to heara deer coming, look around hit it again. if you are new to calls one thing you will find is that deer are beyond excellent as spotting where the sound is coming from. always looks around before using the call. a few weeks ago I hit my grunt tube a few times, looked behind me and a mature doe was looking straight at me. even though I was mostly hidden by me tree she still spotted me and spooked. good luck. some deer pay them no attention, but some do!
great! thanks capt..when you say 5 times ina row, do you meanflip the can , wait 30 secs,flip the can, wait 30 secs..etc...for 5 times or so? then maybe let it rest for 30 mins..then repeat?...sound about right?

Thanks again!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Fork Horn

do your self a favour and watch the outdoors channel, i swear i am glued to that channel and i have learnt so much. i am new to hunting as well, and i am suprising my experienced buddies with what i know

good luck. and one thing i do is mix up my calls with a grunt, rattle bag, and can. just make sure they dont get in the way of your shot.