Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Nothin'

Old 11-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nothin'

Michigan's opener was this morning, and ive never felt so skunked in my life. Im sure a lot of you could see where im comin from, but man is it frustrating when you do SOOO much preparing for season...but all some other guy has to do is wake up, throw some jeans and boots on, grab one of his guns that they havent touched in a year, go back, sit down, see a ton of deer and shoot one. Simple as that. Man its frustrating. Its almost like, why even try anymore as far as preparation goes.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Nothin'

ORIGINAL: kdsberman

Michigan's opener was this morning, and ive never felt so skunked in my life. Im sure a lot of you could see where im comin from, but man is it frustrating when you do SOOO much preparing for season...but all some other guy has to do is wake up, throw some jeans and boots on, grab one of his guns that they havent touched in a year, go back, sit down, see a ton of deer and shoot one. Simple as that. Man its frustrating. Its almost like, why even try anymore as far as preparation goes.
I feel the same way.
Like 2 years ago.
I scouted some public land in NC.
I find where the turkeys are roosting.
I spent at least 1 1/2to 2months scouting.
And on the opener.
I go set up, and I am calling.
I hear a gobble, its going away.
I do some soft yelps.
And keep it up.
Then I hear him start to come towards me.
Then he gets quiet.
So I make softer yelps.
Thenhe is abouthalfe way, I hear Boom, 2 seconds, and Boom, Boom.

About 30 minutes he comes walking right by me, with the turkey hung over his sholder.
And says he just came there, the fisrt time that morning.
Talk about feeling bad.
I did, it was public land so what could I say.
At least he didn't shoot me.

And during deer season it looks like the parking lot at a Wal-Mart.

So I know how you feel.

All we can do, is keep on keeping on.

Good Luck.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ya it sucks dont it. I just found out the local farmer down the road who doesnt know the first thing about hunting, (only shooting), just shot a 12 point. Unbelievable. Another guy a mile down the road who graduated 2 years before me is nothin but a punk who cant get a life and has a drug problem, doesnt do anything but show up to his grandpas a couple days before season, unprepared, and he shoots a 10 point. Why even try?
Old 11-18-2008, 08:41 AM

Talk about frustrating, I've been skunked the past 2 years for a buck! I wont shoot a young buck, but come-on 2 years!!! The woods I hunt are sooo thick that its tough, I don't have the luxury of nice open fields [&o]
Old 11-18-2008, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

You are complaining about 2 years?

I have gone 6 years of hardhunting and scoutingwithout seeing a deer. Sheeesh.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

I have the same problem. I see plenty of deer, but nothing big enough that I'd pull the trigger on. I also hunt harder than anyone I know. The way my work/class schedule is set up, I have the time to hunt morning and evening seven days a week, and I miss very few of those hunts. Meanwhile, everyone around me seems to just blow the dust off their gear, go out one evening because they have nothing better to do, and blast a wallhanger. Gets discouraging sometimes, but oh well. I've had my share of good luck over the years, guess I can't complain. I actually shot this deer a few weeks ago

problem is he wasn't really what I was expecting (long, embarrassing story. See my other post about this deer for more details.) But I was proud to get him, so guess I can't complain too much.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

It ain't rocket science. Sometimes it is counterproductive to try too hard.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I dont know...6 years??? Wow. Thats being commited! My woods seems like its empty whenever i walk in it...a VERY discouraging feeling.