Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What to do with a rub?

Old 11-09-2008, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What to do with a rub?

ORIGINAL: crokit

2 Lunger: Just as you have you used your method to take several p&Y buck, I have used my method, on BIG rubs-6-8 "diam.-for mature, 4 1/2 old,130+ bucks. MY experiences have been that many of these types of rubs are located in wind transition areas, where the normal prevailing wind currents abruptly change, usually due to a topography change, often very subtle. These are the areas that I concentrate my efforts in, simple as that. My method of locating interception points is based on MY use of those experiences over 40 years of hunting. The trick, more often than not, is the decision of whether to set-up IN the wind transition or at the edge of it. Bottom line, regardless of how great a hunter some think they are, confidence in the SPOT, and being in the right place at the right time are the two biggest keys, IMHO, to being consistently successful.

I might add that my theory on BIG rubs fits with hunting high pressure areas that come with hunting in New york State and a 40 day firearm season.
This post makes more sense. I still don't understand your correlation of a rub as to where a buck "needs" his does. My experiences of rub line hunting have showed that a buck made rubs to mark territory or take out aggression and leave scent for other bucks on their way to a food source. I've never had a doe pay a lick of attention to a rub. I just don't understand what your saying about a buck looks past his rub for does.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lunger: I'm not saying a buck looks past his rub for does. In my experience, BIG rubs-6-12" + diam.-type many folks label as " signposts ", are made mainly under the cover of dark, and IMHO, are placed by the buck in areas where doe frequent, and the wind transitions, but the wind is wrong for the bucks daytime travel. Rutting buck will observe these spots from a distance, UPWIND, and clock the activity at these sites, watching other deer activity, and will act accordingly.

One main thing I look for when placing a stand are these wind transition areas. If your observant you can detect these with very little difficulty. I like spots where the thermals/wind bats the smoke from a cig. or powder back and forth, up and out, as opposed to steady prevailing direction.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: crokit

Lunger: I'm not saying a buck looks past his rub for does. In my experience, BIG rubs-6-12" + diam.-type many folks label as " signposts ", are made mainly under the cover of dark, and IMHO, are placed by the buck in areas where doe frequent, and the wind transitions, but the wind is wrong for the bucks daytime travel. Rutting buck will observe these spots from a distance, UPWIND, and clock the activity at these sites, watching other deer activity, and will act accordingly.

One main thing I look for when placing a stand are these wind transition areas. If your observant you can detect these with very little difficulty. I like spots where the thermals/wind bats the smoke from a cig. or powder back and forth, up and out, as opposed to steady prevailing direction.
Now I got you!! Very great observation crokit. I must be to much of a country boy to have understood you!