Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats wrong with it?

Old 10-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Whats wrong with it?

I hunt in Illinois where baiting is illegal, but folks use all sorts of commerical scents, etc. to attract deer or mask human scent. I don't do any of that, but if other people do, then have at it.

And i have seem a lot of things out in the woods, but never saw a dog come sit under someone's stand[:-]
Old 10-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

Ive done both run dogs and still hunt, I would rather sit up a tree and shoot my deer but every now and thenI get a wild hair in me and want to go run some dogs. When I go dog hunting I dont care if I get to shoot a deer or not I just like to hear them dogs haveing a good time, nothing like listening to a pack of dogs running a deer, rabbit, fox or whatever it might be. As far as baiting goes if its legal baitem up.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: crokit

If it's legal, and you choose to do it, have at it. Not my cup of tea. IMHO, huge difference between 20 acre food plot and pile of bait. I compare it to a hit man looking to off someone, and the only chance is doing it at a restaurant. The vic dines at two places: One, a one seat cafe next to a big window, the other a restaurant with seating for 200 hundred. which is the hitman going to try for?
There is no difference in the two. You are planting afood plotto do what? To kill a deer. You are putting corn outto do what? To kill a deer.The only difference in the 20 acre food plot is that your shot may be further. They are both designed to do the same thing, attract deer so we can kill them. If it's leagal to put up a feeder, then it is perfectly fine to do so. It's actually much, much easier to kill a buck in a food plot then it is at a feeder. Where I hunt,bucks very rarely come to feeders during daylight hours, so you are probably better off hunting food plots than you are feeders.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mossy_71

Running dogs? I am against this one and will be until there is a way to ensure me (as an adjoining land hunter/leasee) that you can effectively keep your dogs off of the land I hunt. There is nothing more iritating than to have a dog come sit under my stand or outside my shooting house while I am hunting. To me, this is an encroachment on my rights and should be considered trespassing where the dog owner should be held accountable.

I could never bring myself to hurt, mame, or kill a dog (all for ethical, legal, and personal reasons)...but if I could press charges against the owner, I would.
You're right about the owner of the dog being at fault. However, not every dog hunter lets their dogs run on someone elses property. Yes, crap happens and sometimes you can't control things, but the same dogs are consistently running on your land, than you are dealing with one bad apple out of the entire bushel. Most hunters are responsible: this goes for big game and small game, with or without dogs.

Down here, running dogs is EXTREMELY common. If you go for a drive through town, you're are guaranteed to see about 10 trucks with cb antennas and dog boxes just by going from point A to point B. Most dog hunting is done on 5,000+ acre hunting clubs that are hundreds of years old or on large tracks of public land.

As for killing a dog, my grandfather doesn't hesitate if the problem persists (I won't either). And, I've never had a dog sit under my stand, or heard of one sit under someones stand. I've had dogs run deer off from my stand and watch the dogs trail the deer past my stand; that is very irritating.

This being said, I'm not a dog hunter. The only time I ever use dogs is for rabbit. We had total control over our dogs, and was very enjoyable. Oh yeah... my little chocolate lab named "drake" will soon be with me in the duck blind.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

And this thread degenerates into dog-bashing in 3,2,1......[8D]
Old 10-27-2008, 01:02 PM

I have (on multiple occassions) had a dog come by my stand and sit. Then follow me out of the woods back to the cabin. One particular time it was a pack of 2 beagles. These may have been dogs that were left behind and was just trying to get somewhere (?) but uit has happened.

Here in Alabama, you cannot run dogs the last 15 days of the season. What we have experienced with the adjacent land's club, is the dogs are being dropped off without collars after the last day.

This past season, we were out working on the property--a monthbefore the bow opener--when we came across two older hounds. They followed us around until we finally got fed up and called the owner (from collar). Asked him if he would come get the dogs as they were on our property. We got no apologies...he just chuckled and went into explaining how he had not put their radio collars on when he took them out with some pups for training. Figured since they were older, more seasoned vets that they would come back. Well that was about the last straw.

We spend alot of time and effort on trying to get and hold deer on our property. We have several "No Zones" that have been set aside as sanctuaries, all stands are limited to their hunting based on wind and days since last hunted, etc. This is all in vein when the dogs are there sometimes all week long. We know because we have trail cameras full of their pics.

Fed up!!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

if it's legal in your area i'mnot going to downit. the only "issue" i have with it is when people think food bait (as in corn feeders or corn piles) is the only way of seeing deer. i call that lazy. if you put in the time scouting, you can see deer and be successful without food bait. Texans are notorious for thinking the only way to hunt deer in Texas is over food bait. i'm not downing Texas or Texans, just every hunting show in Texas takes place over food bait and somewhere during the episode, someone says "here in Texas it's impossible to hunt whitetails without using feeders because of the terrain", which is bull.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Me and my brothers used to run Walkers for coon hunting but we don't anymore. Price on fur has really gone down mostly because of the tree huggers complaining but man those were good times growing up. The dogs would occasionally go on others property but we were quick to get them back.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now that you mention it, every time that I've seen a show hunting texas, they are over a feeder...

Don't get me wrong, youhave to take some time scouting. You can't just put out a corn pile anywhere and expect to see deer. Well you can, but chances are you won't. [8D]
Old 10-27-2008, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Corn is no "Silver Bullet". I grew up hunting in the North where baiting was illegal. Now here in NC it is legal, I have used feeders and corn piles just to see if it helps. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I do know it cost me a lot more and I really don't think it is worth it. Out of 14 stands I have two with feeders. Out of 4 deer that were shot this year out of my stands by my Dad and myself two were over corn and two were not over corn. None were big bucks. I think the big bucks avoid the corn piles and feeders at some point.I am using corn less and less these days.

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.