Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats wrong with it?

Old 10-27-2008, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats wrong with it?

I've hunted both ways. A feeder can be programmed to go off during shooting time and is like ringing the dinner bell when it goes off. However, when they start getting banged around and disrupted they will go nocturnal. I also agree w/ the CWD thread. I plant food plots, salt blocks etc. on my property. In PA you haveto have all feeders, salt block etc.out of the hunting area 30 days prior to season. I use all the calls scent etc. I think calls scent etc. afre okay and do not constitute baiting. These calls scents etc. are deception tools and if used wrong will deter the animal. Ever hear a bad tiurkey caller? The food plots go on working long after season is over and are produictive for quality and a healthy deerherd. I see no prblem w/ food plots.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:49 AM
Fork Horn

Nothing wrong with it if it is legal. It is not legal in Indiana.

I legally bait for fish and it does not guarantee a darn thing. Anyone that thinks putting a pile of corn on the ground is going to guarantee getting an animal is living a dream. As usual you must use the wind, coverand stealth to get a shot at any whitetail that has lived beyond 3 years.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

It’s a cultural/regional thing. Those who live in places where baiting is illegal are just taught that it is “wrong” to do. So when they encounter people/places where baiting is common, you have friction and biased opinions. Some overcome those opinions and learn to understand both sides, others don’t. I’m on the fence. I think baiting has its applications, but I am glad my state doesn’t allow it in most areas.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: crokit

If it's legal, and you choose to do it, have at it. Not my cup of tea. IMHO, huge difference between 20 acre food plot and pile of bait. I compare it to a hit man looking to off someone, and the only chance is doing it at a restaurant. The vic dines at two places: One, a one seat cafe next to a big window, the other a restaurant with seating for 200 hundred. which is the hitman going to try for?
both shot at resturaunts :-D
Old 10-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here, just because you have a corn pile, doesn't mean you will see deer. I dont like corn piles cause they feed turkeys. I don't like turkeys very much because they will rat you off to the deer. Deer are kinda working togeather with turkeys. They stay back from a flock a couple minuites because they know the turkeys have better eyes. Then after a while the deer come in and play with them! but with all those eyeballs in the woods, you might as well have stayed home, cause your cover is blown fast if you reach for it.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

Another argument that we could talk all day and all night on. But hey times are getting harder with the way things are with the economy. We've got to live to.... I'll say "I see nothing, I know nothing". Good luck hunting this year.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great points guys. I can see where everyone is coming from and respect everyones opinions.

About dog hunting: hunting is hunting, whether you hunt ducks with a hawk, take grizzlys in alaska with a bow, or run deer dogs in a block of woods. (Keep in mind that running fox with dogs in some places of the world is a very wealthy and classy sport!) The animals you hunt still have an advantage, whether it be sense of smell/eyesight, running through water and eliminating all traces of scent, and legal shooting times!

To me baiting is defined as things such asa food plot, a corn pile, scents, calls, decoys, etc...It doesnt matter what the size of the bait is or how you use; it still attracts/fools game.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

We feed protein, peas and corn mixed 1/3rd ea. year round to improve the health of the deer heard (we are in our 3rd year of this and it is working pretty well).....We have 4 -#1000 lb bulk type feeders that we don't hunt within a 1/4 mile of these feed site's in any direction, we do it for the health of the heard.....Yes we have spin feeders (dinner bell's as someone said earlier)too and will take some doe's and hog's from these but you will likely not see any mature buck's at these site's during the daylight and considering we don't kill any buck's less than 4 1/2 years old we reallydon't benefit from being able to feed other than we can get some good picture's and improve the health of the der heard in our area....This is all part of a QDM program that we have in place and that's our choice to do so....I enjoy working to improve the heard and the extra time spent in the field that it brings....But those who think that b/c you can feed you are guaranteed a mature deer are sadly mistaken and have never hunted this type of setting....

To debate weather it is right or wrong, I think that has already been determined by the governing officials when they allowed that in our state, or when they didn't allow it in yours!!!!!!

The way I look at it is: If it is leagal in your area, knock yourself out....If it is not, don't do it....

You can't determine what is hunting for someone else, that's for them to decide!!!!!! And really un-sportsman like to judge someone else's right to hunt the way that their state allows them to...

I think that when you want to get into ethics and relate it to feeding or not feeding, the only way to judge is to go by whether it is being done legally or not......

These are just my thoughts on the debate, nothing more, nothing less!!!

Best of luck to everyone this fall(regarless of whether you bait or don't)
Old 10-27-2008, 09:43 AM

I see nothing wrong with baiting as long it is a legal method of hunting in your state. Here in Alabama it is not and I go out of my way to be both ethical and legal.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:49 AM

Running dogs? I am against this one and will be until there is a way to ensure me (as an adjoining land hunter/leasee) that you can effectively keep your dogs off of the land I hunt. There is nothing more iritating than to have a dog come sit under my stand or outside my shooting house while I am hunting. To me, this is an encroachment on my rights and should be considered trespassing where the dog owner should be held accountable.

I could never bring myself to hurt, mame, or kill a dog (all for ethical, legal, and personal reasons)...but if I could press charges against the owner, I would.

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.