Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Busted by squirrels??

Old 10-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Busted by squirrels??

ORIGINAL: BetterBirddogs

My experience with this is that squirrels will bark at just about anything. I have not seen a negative impact on deer. I have heard squirrels barking off to my side in my stand and see some deer show up after a while from that direction. I think they ignore it.
Agreed. In fact, three weeks ago I was sitting a stand and a squirrel broke into his insane barking routine just above me to the right a little. I was sitting there thinking "how did he bust me??". I glanced up slowly and spent a minute trying to spot him. Finally, after spotting him, I slowly lowered my head just in time to see a string of six does ghosting through the trees after just having crossed my shooting lane. The stupid squirrel was barking at the deer, and they totally ignored it.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

the deer where i hunt could care less what noise is coming out of a squirrel. The squirrels bark at them as much as they bark at me. Also, there are so many squirrels in the trees i dont think the deer pay to much attention. I have never seen a deer pay attention to a squirrel where i live, doesnt mean they dont else where.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah I dont have a problem with squirrels or bluejays at all. They are one of the best alarms to start paying attention once they start making a ruckus all of a sudden. Whenever I hear a squirrel or bluejay bust loose somewhere around me I pay attention to the area where the noise is coming from. 9 times out of 10 there is usually something moving through that gets their attention. Lots of time its deer, sometimes its just turkeys but more often then not its deer.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Actually I like having squirrels in the area. I'd like to have a dollar for every timesquirrels started raising cane and within a few minutes deer came roaming through the hardwoods from the area of the racket.That'd be a pretty pile of cash being that my white tail hunting now goes back almost 50 years now !!

I neverseen deer "spook" at squirrel barks, even the strong, rapid sequence that I'd call an "alarm" barks. I have seendeer stop cold and look around at the onset of this type of barking. But the deer have generally, after a while,just continued on their way, expect two times when a coyote came bouncing through the woods within a few minutes and of course the deer hauled tail out of there. But it was not the bark... notin my oipinion, but the sight of the coyotes that spooked the deer.

The quick, rather soft, what I'd call a "curiosity bark" followed by a rather long bark is the one that has often alerted me to deer in the area. Not 100% of the time by any means, but many times for sure.Saturday morning was one of those times. A few squirrels startred up out way behind me, probably150yards. Just could barely hear them that far off. Then, like a "sports stadium wave", the closer squirrels cranked up too. Within about 15 minutes here came 4 big does and 5 yearlings feeding on acorns, ever so slowly working their way around me from over my right shoulder. About a half hour later one doe came close enough for a bow shot and is now hanging at the meat processor's.

I would think popping off a 22 would be much worse a "spook" than a natural part of the day to day woodsy world. Just my opinion.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RenaissanceBiker

My buddy andI have considered bringing a .22 rifle with us for just that. It would be a quieter way to remove the squirrel. It would also be safer. I prefer to shoot downward with my .270 because I don't want to shoot someone a mile away. I don't shoot at a deer near the horizon for the same reason. I would feel better about shooting a .22 upward at a squirrel.
i always bring an extra arrow with a practice tip or a small game tip to shoot em
Old 10-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer will not spook from a squirrel at all. Dont worry about it.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

k thanks
Old 10-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Generally you'd be Ok, but I've also had an instant where it first got light outand a red squirrel came out to survey the sunrise and wouldn't stop his alarm screach for probably 20 minutes. It went up and down the tree I was in and then went to the trees next to me, all the while barking it's a$$ off. I actually pondered pasting that damn thing to the tree with my -06. I should note it's the red squirrel. The common gray or foxsquirrels want nothing to do with you at all...and seldom make a peep.

Stay put, try not to move, and leave them alone and they'll go away....or just shoot it, like "121553" did.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Kybuckhunter

Deer will not spook from a squirrel at all. Dont worry about it.
Maybe not spooked, but it will alert them that something is not right, especially when their in a very aggressive barking mood, I'm talking about a mood that is constant barking and an alert an invader is around.
The secret to successful hunting is to be undetected and a barking squirrel, barking its head off within 20 yards from your stand is something that you don't want to have a deer paying attention to, especially after having to listen to it to it for 45 minutes.. I'm not talking about a squirrel that just chatters a little, they all do that, but I'm talking about an aggressive squirrel where you may have invaded its territory and it lets you know that your not welcome. If you listen to the animals, you just might learn something.

Bobby
Old 10-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where I hunt, squirrels have many predators that they could be barking at. THey could see a hawk, raccoon, fox, housecat, almost anything. These would all pose a threat to a squirrel but not a deer. I see squirrels barking all the time, never has it seem to bother the deer.

Quick Reply: Busted by squirrels??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.