Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deers Reaction to Deer Guts

Old 10-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deers Reaction to Deer Guts

I've gone back to sit in my "hot spot" the day after gun opener and have seen deer (both does) approach a gut pile in passing and act like it was not even there.But Ihave also seen a few over the years that will sniff it out and high tail it back the other way.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

There was just an interesting bit on Deer and Deer Hunter a week ago on gut piles. They set up a trail cam on a gut pile to see what it would attrack and how long the pile would be there. The interesting thing was that during the night 3 seperate deer stopped by to smell and then lick the pile. I wouldn't have beleved it but there it was on the trail cam. The info from this study is being used by some guy up in Mich. that is working on his Doctorate. It was interesting to see the stages of animals that came by to feast on it. The gut pile including all bloody leaves etc. was gone within 24 hours.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Typical Buck

I'm kinda paranoid about it, so I always drag the deer away from my spot to gut it. With that said, a hunting buddy of ours hunts the same point every year. About 3 years ago, he shot a doe opening morning just after daylight. He gutted her right there and dragged her out to the barn we hang our deer in and went back to camp. Another guy in our hunting camp went over about an hour later to check on him cause he'd heard him shoot. The guy that killed the doe is an older guy and we all try to help him out. When the second hunter arrived he saw the gut pile, put 2 and 2 together and assumed that Sonny ( 1st hunter) had tagged out so he sat down to hunt since he hadn't seen any deer that morning. About 30 minutes after sitting down to watch the point, he shot a decent 8 point standing over the gut pile. He said the buck walked right up to it and started sniffing it....had his nose in it when he killed him. Maybe a rut thing?

Along with what some of the others have said about the gutpiles disappearing in a few days.....I'd second those thoughts. Normally around our neck of Missouri, all that's left of a gutpile the next day is the stomach....and that will be gone in a couple more days after the crows get at it. Sometimes a dead coyote appears to......funny how that happens in a redneck county!

GH