Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Backpacking in to hunt . . . or no?

Old 10-10-2008, 06:51 PM

Default RE: Backpacking in to hunt . . . or no?

I think i prolly will since ive really not heard anything against besides packing out the meat and all which i can prolly figure out. Thanks guys
Old 10-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

You have hit a topic that I could talk for hours on. I do it twice each year: Back pack in 7 miles from a parking area and camp and hunt. 7-11 days end of October-first week or so of Nov. and Thanks giving week-first Sun in Dec.

I know the thread is " Backpacking and hunting ", not camping, but there are MANY principles that are mutual. What is the terrain like. Do you have a fire trail or other trail at least 4-5' wide that gets you back near { within mile or so } of where you hunt. If so, keep your eyes open for a sulky. You can pick up one in fair-poor shape fairly cheap. These make excellent transport vehicles for game/equipment. I have one that I've used for nearly twenty years.

I've rigged-up a harness system for myself, modified the front poles to be removed from the carriage system, and installed a variety of hooks catches etc. for gear securing. One person can pull several hundred pounds of equipment a good distance, as well as bring out game whole. I have used this to bring game nearly 7 miles back to my truck in its entirety, 2 bears and a number of buck.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:05 PM

what is a sulky?
Old 10-10-2008, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

If your dad has been there before, he knows what it will take. You can go pretty light on the way in spliiting the camping gear between two.

I think two of you should be able to get a good sized deer out in one trip, be sure to take some heavy duty bags for theboned meat. You will leave much of the weight behind in the form of guts, bone and hide.

I do think that some meat might get wasted if you each shot a good deer. It might be a good idea to agree ahead of time to quit hunting when one of you shoots one. You could even lighten the load a bit by taking just one gun and a video camera.

It sounds more liike a good trip the more I hear.
Take a lot of pictures and post them up after the trip. I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip however it goes.

Bob
Old 10-10-2008, 07:46 PM

Yeah you r prolly right about only shooting one deer but yeah i will definitely post pics of it. We still got a while tho,the hunt starts the day after thanksgiving, just tryin to get prepared and get an early game plan.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do a couple of backpacking hunts every year, and I recommend that you try it. You won't know whether you like it or not until you have done it. Packing meat out can be a challenge, but really it is not that big of a deal. Make sure to practice firing your weapon with your backpack on as it can feel quite different. Carry your first aid and survival kit, and parachute cord. Other than that try to keep it as light as safely possible and have fun.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a good time.Goodluck.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do not know all your particulars, so my comments may not be on point. Let me tell you some of my reservations about backpack hunting. If it is cold, the cold begins to grind on you after several days doing a backpack hunt. It is cold in the morning when you get up to go to the bathroom. It is cold when you sit down on a log to eat your dinner. It is cold when you climb into your sleeping bag. It is cold when you get up out of your sleeping bag. For day after day after day it is cold. If your clothes get wet, you have no way to dry them in a backpacking tent. My experience is based on elk hunt backpacking and the temperatures were a high of 50 degrees during the day and lows around 25 degrees overnight. Also, I was on my own, in a wilderness area. At least you would have companionship, which does help. For me, however, I won't be doing any more backpacking elk hunts. I think the way to go is with a wood fire heated wall tent and definitely with one or more partners. This allows you to get warm and to dry your clothes. You know clothes can get wet from something as simple as blowing wet fresh snowfall.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:52 PM

Well it should be about the same temperature where we will be goin so i will keep that in mind. what was the typical gear u brought on a trip like this? Did u bring full gear with a tent, bag, stove, pack, food, cookware and such or did u go minimalist? And to Hurricanespq what does ur typical survival kit and/or safety kit include?
Old 10-11-2008, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

A sulky is the " cart " a jockey sits on when racing trotters { horses }. They balance the weight much better than the commercial game haulers you can buy through most hunting outlets. Don't be discouraged by the thoughts of cold nights, etc. Just be prepared.

For heat, I converted a mailbox, the type you see attached to top of posts on rural roads, made of sheet metal, to a wood burning stove. Keep your eyes open, and you can find one in good shape for a couple of bucks. Cut a 3" hole in the top, attach a 3" diamater stove pipe w/damper, add a spark arrester and woala!!, a wood burning stove, light as a feather, and will last a couple of years. They heat a 100sq. foot area quickly. Nothing like wood heat to dry out clothes. I place mine on a magazine rack I found, with side sleeves for magazines. I use these side sleezes to put wood in to dry out for the next load going in the stove. The height of the rack keeps the heat from burning the floor. Works like a charm! When choosing wood to burn, stay away from wood laying on the forest floor. Cut dead, standing, beach, maple, oak, if possible. In blow downs, cut the tops sticking in the air that would be above last years snows.

If you want to be serious about that type of hunting { IMHO, the most rewarding, you have to have a lot of McGyver in ya. LOL

Quick Reply: Backpacking in to hunt . . . or no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.