Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

any hunting stories??

Old 10-01-2008, 11:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default any hunting stories??

any huntin stories from last year to get us going for this season? last year on opening day i snuck up on a big buck , and kinda freeked out. the ilusion of a deer laying in knee high buck brush fooled me i thought he was standing up and the brush was waist high and the buck fever kicked in. I aimed low and he jumped up and almost did a backflip and jetted off to live another day. well i am sure you guys can top this one I was skunked last year.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: any hunting stories??

Man I think you asked for it. LOL

Seriously. I think thats one thing I love about the internet and this and a couple other hunting sites I belong to...no lack of hunting stories. I love them and my family gets tired of hearing them.

Ok so here goes.

I decided last year to get up opening day of gun season. I normaly bowhunt but hadn't had one deer in bow range yet. So I grabed my shotgun and out the door I went in the dark. I imedeatly noticed I'd screwed up. It was raining, and pretty steady. I was skipping out on work for the morning and if I didn't go hunting I had to go to work. No question. I was going to sit in the rain.
I headed out and it took forever to get light. When it did everything was wet and nothing was moving. I didn't even see a bird. At 8:15 I decided I'd had enough and I'd only stay 15 more minutes. As I sat there deciding if I should walk out through a brushy area in front of me, I see movement to my left. Three deer moving fast. The first runs out in front of me and stops and the other two split off and run straight toward the back of the property. I just got a glimps of these two. So my binos are soaked. As I check the doe with my shotgun scopeout at 50 yards, wondering if I want to shoot a doe, I think maybe one of those two that ran toward the back of the property might be a buck. I look to my left and standing broadside at 80 yards pretty as can be is a big buck. It didn't take me long to get on him and I pulled the trigger. He dropped in his tracks. Unfortunatly I had broken his back and ended up walking up on him to finish him off.
He's my biggest so far. Scored 153.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:28 AM

My state holds an early muzzleloader season on 3 state properties every year. Last year was my 3rd year in row that I went on the hunt. It was late in the afternoon on the third day of the season and I was hunting a swampy flat. Along comes this beautiful 10 point buck. The biggest buck I had ever seen while out hunting. I was in a perfect set up behind a fallen tree. I had so much fun watching him. At one point he stopped broadside at about 40-50 yards and stood there for several minutes. I must admit that I did "practice" aiming at him, but I never took the safety off or put my finger anywhere near the trigger. Why you ask? I had an antlerless only tag. DOH!!!! LOL! Still it was fun.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

really nice buck John!