Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shelf life of deer scents

Old 09-23-2008, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shelf life of deer scents

I have some doe estrus from last year and some from the year before. The youngest one is in gel form and the oldest is just a spray. Are they still good or do I need to buy new? How long does that stuff last before it is not effective or becomes repulsive to deer?
Old 09-23-2008, 01:01 PM

Default RE: Shelf life of deer scents

i always buy fresh scent each year..dont want to take chances..and i keep it frozen until its time for use..just buy new scent and elimnate any chances of scarin off the big boy
Old 09-23-2008, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

i always buy new each year. i have been told if kept in a cool dark place it will last from one year to another but i always spend a few bucks each year and buy new. although sometimes i wonder how new the new scents are. a company can't make money if they only sell half a case and throw the rest away so i would think that some of the scents are leftovers from the year before. something i just always wondered about
Old 09-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: LeftyBuckmaster

i always buy new each year. i have been told if kept in a cool dark place it will last from one year to another but i always spend a few bucks each year and buy new. although sometimes i wonder how new the new scents are. a company can't make money if they only sell half a case and throw the rest away so i would think that some of the scents are leftovers from the year before. something i just always wondered about
You know they do. I can't imagine Bass Pro or Gander Mtn. throwing left overs away at the end of the year. Kind of makes me wonder if we really need to throw them away. I don't know. I'll probably throw away everything from last year except my Buck Bombs. I'll just buy new this year.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:35 PM

I would recommend buying new scent if it has been opened. But if the bottle has never been open then yes, it can be saved for the next year.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: countrymudder

i always buy fresh scent each year..dont want to take chances..and i keep it frozen until its time for use..just buy new scent and elimnate any chances of scarin off the big boy
For someone who "has all the answers" doesnt Tinks and other scent companies tell you NOT to freeze it?

Old 09-23-2008, 05:21 PM

everyone has their own methods..i like to feeze it..cuz it seems like it would preserve it better..rather than letting heat get to it..i dont use tinks..i mainly use wildlife research center scents..here is a link to a website that collects and immediately freezes its product..some people use their own urine..anything can work..deer are curious animals..here are both links..read up on the bottom link..its intresting

http://www.spdeerscents.com/index.htm

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/TWF/synthetic_deer_lures.html
Old 09-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I refigerate mine, I even keep it in my inside pockets in Jan and Feb, to keep form freezing. If it freezes it will seperate. Also it's hard to get out of the bottle if frozen.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:47 PM

well obviously u want to thaw it before u go huntin..and then just shake it back up..its no different than itallian dressing..it seperates..but when u use it u shake it up lol
Old 09-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used several year old un-opened bottles and had deer sniff it before. They're curious...and definitely not spooked.

Quick Reply: Shelf life of deer scents

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.