Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how high should the tree stand be??

Old 09-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: how high should the tree stand be??

As a young hunter, I earned the nick name "Skyhigh". My theory was the higher up, the less scent deer would pick up. In my climbers I hunt about 20-30 feet and 15 in my ladder.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've already been successful this year using a stand at at 14 feet (I may have gone higher but the stand placement was dictated by the tree itself). I rarely go higher than 20 ft. How high you will go will be determined by your hunting situation and your comfort zone. Just remember your shot placement will be effected by the height of your stand. Best of luck.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:58 AM
8mm
Typical Buck

15 to 20 feet
Old 09-05-2008, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone is different and each tree may be different. I have killed deer in a ladder stand that someone made 8' high and I have killed deer at 20' high. Cover your scent and good luck. When I use my climber I stay around 15 to 20' high.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

take a good look at the terrain. If your in a bottom your going to want to get higher typically, but it depends on the cover, sometimes going to high cuts out a lot shots. If your in between ridges and the deer walk on them remember that if your not high enough they will be looking at you eye to eye. Also if you have a tree that provides cover, place the stand to best use that cover. I have a stand in Holly thicket where the deer chase a lot during the rut. That stand is maybe 12ft up- any higher i have no shots, lower i dont take advantage of the cover. I have shot nice bucks out that stand at 3 yards- never knew i was there. In open hardwoods its usually 20ft for me. do what works, every set is different.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

i climb as high as possible to be sure to be above the eye level of the deer. i hunt very hilly terrain and hunters can be easily spotter when the deer are climbing up a hill, therefore i climb as high as i can to try and eliminate that threat.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

it is 100% what you feel comfy with and what the terrain allows. Personally i hang mine at least 20'. i just like being high and able to see at a distance. ALTHOUGH, always wear a saftey harness
Old 09-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHunter

Depends on your set up and where you can have some cover as well as have a good opportunity for a shot. It will depend on the terrain you hunt...I have placed hang on stands from 10' to 35' b/c of the terrain and surroundings...There is not a set height to put it, put it where you are comfortable shooting from as well as feel safe....
+1 on TexasBowHunter's answer
Old 09-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I go up as high as the terrain and the foliage gives me a good view of the area. Usually that works oout to be about 20-25 feet where I hunt.

Regardless of how high up you go, please be certain to wear a good fall restraint harness. These things are not all that expensive and can be, and have been, life savers as well as preventing serious spinal or head injuries.

I know almost first hand. About 15 years ago, my brother fell less than 1o'. Hit a limb on the way down. He came withing a gnat-hair of being paralyzed. Shattered T4, bruised-stretched the spinal chord, but it did not sever it. Spent months in a halo. He has never recovered completely. I had given him a decent restraint just that Christmas. It was still in the bag. Personally I wear one, 100% of the times I am in a tree stand of any kind ... ladder, lock-on or climber.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I go about 20 to 25 feet up