Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ft. Campbell and what slugs?

Old 08-31-2008, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ft. Campbell and what slugs?

Hey, I'm going to Fort Campbell the first week of December, and I was wanting to see if y'all could give me some tips, I'm going to be using shotgun, rifled barrel, and was wondering what kind of sabots should I use? I was thinking something by Federal or Remington BuckHammer.

As for Fort Campbell, they issue base permits, not state permits, to hunt there, so I was wondering if I would be able to hunt the Kentucky side as well, and if so, which side is better? TN or KY? I believe I will be leaning toward hunting the TN side, but just wanted a second opinion, I figured both areas are relatively not so different from one another.
Old 09-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ft. Campbell and what slugs?

When I hunt with slugs I use Federal, but you should use whatever shoots best out of your gun. I've never hunted Ft. Campbell, but I have been there many times before. There are tons of deer and I don't think It'll matter much which side you hunt. I would hug the TN side since I've seen more deer in that area.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

The remington copper sabots shoot mighty nice, they are a little pricey, but worth it to me...
Old 09-01-2008, 07:09 AM
Dominant Buck

You need to shoot groups with at least 3 Brands of Sabots to see which one will do better in your barrel......

I shoot HornadyXTP 260gr and 90 grains of Geox 2f effectively at 150 yards with a Knight "Wolverine"......

I shoot Winchester "BRI" in a FN BRN A-5 & Hastings Barrel........
Old 09-01-2008, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doesn't really matter but what shotgun will you be using? The reason I say it doesn't matter is because you can have the same two shotguns down to the barrel and one will group say Lightfields better and the other might like the Federal Barnes. I've been slug hunting for over 27 years so your best bet is to go buy a box of each or many different brandsand set up on a rifle rest and shoot for the best group. See how each preformout of your gun. You'll want to try for the tightest group. Scope or rifle sights?? You'll want to start at 25 yards and work from there. Sorry there is no magical way to just do it......just lots of shooting to find out which slug preforms the best out of your particular setup. Good Luck and get to practicing, time is getting short.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mossberg 500, open sights, I don't mind the idea of experimenting, but I can't spend all my money on slugs and then have no ammo for rifle season, on top of it all, after 12 shots at the range, I'll be more than wanting to leave, lots of recoil....
Old 09-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Remington Copper Sabots are what I use
Old 09-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

o.... and Lightfield slugs
Old 09-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: younggun308

Mossberg 500, open sights, I don't mind the idea of experimenting, but I can't spend all my money on slugs and then have no ammo for rifle season, on top of it all, after 12 shots at the range, I'll be more than wanting to leave, lots of recoil....
Try as many different brands as you can afford and go with the best.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Been using slugs for years and the Barnes Expanders by Fderal in 2 3/4 inch is incrediably accurate and when I pull the trigger two things happen.The bullet smacks him and he smacks the ground fast.Best blood trail that I have ever seen from a slug.These are my results shooting these and I would not shoot anything else. Mike

Quick Reply: Ft. Campbell and what slugs?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.