Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Can i shoot a slug through a modified choke

Old 08-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Spike

Default Can i shoot a slug through a modified choke

I have a fixed modified choke for my 20 gauge shotgun and i was wondering if a slug would damage the choke and make shot pattern poor.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Can i shoot a slug through a modified choke

Shouldn't be a problem.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Spike

k
Old 08-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

As mentioned you should not have a problem, but check to see what kind of pattern you get.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: garbsie

I have a fixed modified choke for my 20 gauge shotgun and i was wondering if a slug would damage the choke and make shot pattern poor.
If you cut the slug a part and dropped it down the barrel.
It would just drop on through.
A slug is made from soft lead.
And a slug is made with a cone shape at the powder end,
so that when it is fired it takes the shape of your barrel.
So you should be fine.
But like being said before this post, you should go and patteren it to see where it hits.

JMHO
Old 08-22-2008, 09:14 AM

ORIGINAL: jrbsr

If you cut the slug a part and dropped it down the barrel.
It would just drop on through.

JMHO
Umm, probably not. Might depend on the manufacturer some are slightly different diameters but most will probably not just drop down a barrel, and they certainly won't drop through a modified choke.

A modified choke will work for slugs, some of my guns have actually done better with a modified choke. The norm is the more open the choke the better though. A foster type slug will not hurt your gun or choke so don't worry about that. You will just have to clean it really good when you are done. A foster or rifled slug (same thing basically) will conform to your choke as it passes through. This is what the fins on the slug are for, they crush as they go through the constriction of the choke. They don't actually impart any spin at all to the slug. You can shoot them from a full choke if you want, but normally they are not very accurate because of how badly the tight choke deforms the slug.

The only way you will know how it shoots is to put some in there and see what happens. You will not hurt the gun though so don't worry about that. You will just have to scrub it a bit harder when you clean it is all. It will probably leave some lead build up in the choke.

And try as many different brands as you can, some may shoot considerably better out of your gun. DO NOT USE SABOT SLUGS, they are made for full bore rifle barrels. They will not shoot worth a darn, will be expensive and may possibly damage your choke since they are not designed to crush like a rifled slug is.

Paul
Old 08-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

Im not to sure. Great question.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

Well I dunno, but i had some trouble with my Rem 870 shooting slugs through a modified... couldn't keep a pattern unfortunately. But if it works for you, then use it!
Gerard
Old 08-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: garbsie

It should work ok. Although, If I'm not mistaken a true smooth bore slug barrel is closer to a improved cylinder.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:00 AM

It won't hurt anything but you would get a better group out of a IC choke.

Quick Reply: Can i shoot a slug through a modified choke

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.