Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

To be courteous to non hunters, Is it O.K to transport your deer on the roof of your car?

Old 08-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: To be courteous to non hunters, Is it O.K to transport your deer on the roof of your car?

Down here, it's probably not frowned upon like it is up north, but I still wouldn't do it. I don't think I have even seen a deer strapped on the top of someones car. Every hunter I see down here either has a truck or an atv and trailor. I dosee them strapped on their atv's all the time where everyone can see, but that is pretty normal down here. If you don't own a truck, just put the deerin the trunk. I don't have the problem anyway. I clean all my deer right there on my property at the camp. Personally, I could care less what other people think about me and my hunting, so ifit offends someone who sees a dead deer or deer head in the back of my truck, they'll just have to get over it.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: To be courteous to non hunters, Is it O.K to transport your deer on the roof of your car?

I would be more concerned about the meat spoiling in that situation and worried about having any possible opening to body cavity covered with a tarp or something. As for non-hunters, as long as you're not going out of your way to be disrespectful, who cares? Again, if you're not rubbing something in their face, they have no right to be upset.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

I think this debate probably comes down to where you live. I happen to live in a place that is extremely hunter friendly, and if you take a nice buck or bull it is customary and expected to do a couple victory laps through town and swing by the bar on main street for a beer. Of course in hot weather where meat spoilage is an issue this is not done. I know that this is not the case in many areas anymore, but that is why I live where I live. Our local paper still has an outdoor section, and "trophy" pics are proudly displayed on its pages. Some things have changed over the years though, hunters today take more care in their displays as far as tongues hanging out etc.... I grew up with a dad that would take the head off from his elk and strap it to the spare tire on front of the old ford truck and drive around for a few days that way, you don't see that these days.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do not see an issue if it is the best way to transport it....I have a truck and they go in the back but some people do not own trucks...
Old 08-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally wouldn't do it, then again that's why I bought my truck, for hunting and camping. If I had an SUV then I would lay out a tarp and transport the deer inside the cargo area. If all I had was a car, well you gotta do what you gotta do. Funny part of it is that the same people that would complain about seeing a deer on the trunk or roof are usually the same people that cry about the deer eating their landscaping.

As long as it is done tastefully I don't have a problem with it.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:13 PM

They are lying all over the roads around here dead and bloated, how someone would get offended by seeing one on the hood of car is beyond me.

Paul
Old 08-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, if nothing else, it's not too sanitary! Road dust, chemicals and heat, none of that is going to do the meat any good!
Even tossing the sanitary issues aside, I don't consider it very courteous to others! I'm not even talking about the Anti's or being politically correct! I'm talking common sense courtesy and respect for others.
Maybe, it's not only the Anti's that don't care to see dead animals on parade. Besides that, it's not the Hunters or the Anti's that will decide the freedom to own guns or hunt in the future! Its going to be the neutral non hunters, that far outnumber both Anti's and Hunters that ultimately decide the fate of hunting and gun ownership! I'm not saying we have to kiss-up but, there is no reason to be rude either.
With all this said, I can't see any good logical reason to carry an animal on the top of a car roof for any more than a short distance! At least covering it up with a tarp would keep people happy AND keep the meat clean.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dunno that a field dressed deerthat is only slit up the belly is really gonna get contaminated or spoiled by laying on its side on top of a car for several hours. But, if i was gonna be driving thru all the pollution and heat of southeast Texas,i might look at it differently.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

Dunno that a field dressed deerthat is only slit up the belly is really gonna get contaminated or spoiled by laying on its side on top of a car for several hours. But, if i was gonna be driving thru all the pollution and heat of southeast Texas,i might look at it differently.
Several hours would mean lots of miles of road dust, and baked meat, and I'm sure SETex is no more polluted than Ohio or Louisiana! Maybe your taste buds are so polluted you can't taste the difference between properly cared for meat and "Road Kill Jerky!"
Old 08-19-2008, 05:27 PM

I put mine in the back of my truck.... BUT , I would do what ever I had to do. Economics does not mean disrespcting other people or the animal..

I don't go out of my way to show blood, gore, or the such, but I also don't worry about blood, as I do not view it in any way disrespcting the animal. IMHO, thats one of the silliest things I have ever heard. I respect the animals as much as anyone, but a little blood is not in any way a slight. In fact I believe it is silly for hunting shows to clean the animals up and pose them... What?? no blood, then I guess that deer is only asleep. Thats funny.... Hunters watch the shows, but we want the deer cleaned and posed, so that it looks like it isn't hurt , dead, or going into a skillet.

DO what you have to, this world is getting a little too soft from all of the P.C. crap , anyway.

MET

Quick Reply: To be courteous to non hunters, Is it O.K to transport your deer on the roof of your car?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.