Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

urban deer

Old 08-17-2008, 07:45 PM

Default urban deer

alright guys first time posting here so go easy. Ever since a picked up a bow, although only a year ago, I have never wanted to hunt with a rifle again. Anyways here is the situation. I live in a populated are of town, however I struck upon some deer tracks in a field. this field is now finally being developed, i have lived her 17 years and it is just now being touched. below is a google earth snap shot. the yellow out lines show what has been developed, and the red out line where i have found said tracks.( the yellow outline to the left of the red has just been grated and no houses built on it yet. everything else has been fully developed)

said tracks.

and my little helper

with all this being said, what do you think i should do about this. i think it would be exciting to set up a stand and harvest one of these deers , considering this field would once be completely developed, but am not sure how i should go about it. i am still new to everything and would appreciate pointers.
looking forward to comments
Old 08-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: urban deer

Number one is to get written permission to hunt the land. Then you can go about looking for trails, food sources, bedding areas, etc.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:26 PM

well i know the developer of the land personally so this will not be a problem. i am going to try and borrow a trail camera from someone and see if this speeds things up.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

I've never seen dog tracks like that. They look more like a deer
Old 08-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

Ive been hunting urban deer since i was a kid. I grew in the suburbs in an area loaded with deer. the trick to urban deer is understanding there different. there patterns change everyday depending on human interaction. Nothing stays the same. the best thing to hunt is food, funnels, and escape routes. things like rub lines seem not to pan out because in the urban areas thats usually done at night. The best are funnels from food to bedding. A funnel can be really small in urban areas. Look at the neighborhoods(food) and find places going from the neighborhoods to the bedding area. Finding the right house with the good garden and getting on the travel route to the garden can pay off huge.