Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how much rope

Old 08-08-2008, 06:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: how much rope

I hunt in some really rough country. I have a garden hose spool with 1000 ft of 3/8 nylon rope. I have then in 100 ft lengths and just tie them together as I need them. I also keep a couple 20- 25 foot ropes for hanging or hand dragging deer out.
Old 08-08-2008, 06:57 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Remnard

I carry 20 feet of paracord, just to pull mybow or gunup/ most areas i hunt are accessible by vehicle to pick up a deer. the remote areas i hunt i just go back and get my nxt shot versa cart when i am successful.

Same here!
Old 08-08-2008, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also carry some thin rope. I do have a long cord attached to my treestand, so I don't need the rope for that. If I use my self climber, I use it to bring up my rifle or bow after I get setup 20-25 ft off the ground.

I used to use rope to drag deer. I now usea safety strap or two to drag out the deer. I bring the frontlegs of the deer up to it's neck and tie it off there. It helps keep the front legs from dragging. I can put the strap under my arms and around my chest. This makes it a lot easier if I'm by myself.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

I usually take 2 pieces ofabout 10-12 feet eachof para cord.

ORIGINAL: Bocajnala
When I drag deer I break off about a 3ft. branch from somewhere and tie the rope to it in the middle. Makes a good handle
I am amazed when someone talks about rope biting into their hands. Making a simple handle is so easy. Last year my buddy shot a big 6-point down in a creek bottom. I tiedthe middle of a cord around the buck's neck then handed him one end. I took the other so we could both pull. He said something about the thin rope cutting into his hand. I tied my end around my mini-maglight for a perfect handle. He had a mini-maglight on his belt too, but never thought about making a handle with it. That made our drag up the hillso much easier.