Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Plot Thickens...or does it?

Old 07-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Spike

Default The Plot Thickens...or does it?

I am new here and new to farming. I have some hunting land in South Central Virginia and want to plant a food plot for deer etc. I have tried a few but I want to try clover. I have heard it is hard to grow and expensive plus it requires a lot of lime. I want to know when is the best time to plant and anything else that may help. Please I want only experienced help not second hand info as that has felled me in the past.Thanks!
Doug
Old 07-27-2008, 12:37 PM

Default RE: The Plot Thickens...or does it?

I dont know anything about it so I cant help you here. But, a better place would be to post it in the "Wildlife Managment" forums, a few down from this forum.

Hope it helps and good luck!

Ps. Welcome to the forums!
Old 07-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: The Plot Thickens...or does it?

The way I did my clover is first I soil tested and limed to get it to about a 7. I sprayed the patch in August to kill all the weeds and disc it in mid Sept. Around the first of Oct we planted BUck Forage Oats and I over seeded with Yucci Arrowleaf (white clover). The oats popped up quick and aroundlate Decthe cloveris big enough for grazing to start. Now I just disc in the clover in late Sept and plant my Oats and the clover keeps coming back every year. I don't bushhog, just let it go to seed. It doesn't seem the deer forage on the clover much in the summer anyway.